SCRATCH S2P helper app problem

picaxehama0013

Hello,
I'm using S2P helper app with 08M2. I'm wondering why temperature sensor and servo will not work and tried to investigate. I think the helper app can't work for this cases, because the PICAXE will not receive correct commands. I have "sniffed" into the serial protocoll and found out this:

- Temperature:
The S2P-PICAXE comunicator program "Picaxe_connect.bas" waits for an "h"-command for using the "readtemp"-command. But the helper app will never send out this command. Instead of this, the command "a" will be used for "set pin as" to "Temperature", in the same way like the ""set pin as" to "switch". Because of this SCRATCH will never be able to read out any temperature.

- SERVO:
There is the command "servo" available, only! For a correct functionality the command "servopos" should be available, too.

I think, the problem comes from the S2P helper app, because the "Picaxe_connect.bas" and "picaxe-08m2.s2b" (json-file) looks ok...I've tried to insert the "SERVOPOS"-command to this files, but do not know how the S2P this commands will use...

I know, Blockly is the better tool for programming a picaxe with blocks, but SCRATCH is worth to work with PICAXE in online interaction with a computer, too!

possibly I'm wrong with my investigation - but please let me know, what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!
Mathias

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The temperature sensor worked as expected when I tested Scratch and the S2P Helper App with both an 08M2 and 18M2.

Scratch uses results which are polled from the PICAXE via the Helper app so, to avoid the PICAXE being brought to a standstill if having to continually reading the temperature sensor, the temperature sensor reading is only taken every few seconds or so. This may be why the "h" command was not observed.

If you could explain what the issue is which you are observing when using the temperature sensor we will do our best to investigate that.