​ ​ ​ ​ Picaxe Kayak Control Project - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Picaxe Kayak Control Project

Quote Originally Posted by Texasclodhopper View Post
    I know that you have it all figured out, but why I2C and not just use serial comms?
    good morning,
    I2C is to serial comms as a horse is to a car. The I2C is much faster, way more expandable, & offers a lot more options. You could easily put a hundred devices on the I2C bus, but that would be a challenge with serial comms. It's also easy to do circuit boards for I2C devices (a plus for me since I'd rather be fishing).
    Attached are the schematics for the Picaxe-20M2 board & joystick DIO board used on this project. As you can see, there ain't a whole of lot of complexity.
    Have a fun day!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lots here to keep me busy.

Many Thanks.

Great project and terrific documentation! You should post a video of the kayak & controller in use, that would really complete the presentation.

I agree with the others: TERRIFIC and well documented project.
    I'm glad that you could merge both your passions into this project.

Like your "mama trees" software strategy. Very intuitive. Shows all the experience accumulated during your working years.

One question; how did you protect the boards against humidity?
    For the connectors on my environmentally-exposed projects I've always used some moly-grease (Nyogel 76V) to protect them; with excellent results.
    "Will design analog circuitry for Beer."

thanks guys,
    Yep, “mama trees” is easier to get your head around than “hierarchical procedural structure”. Anyhow, words with over 3 syllables have to be contracted in southern English (i.e. hi-rar-cul pro-see-drul struc-cher).
    Haven’t had any problems with moisture or condensation. The battery & drive electronics are in a sealed box with a fan that runs when the drive is turned on. The (Northern Tools) box does not hold heat very well (a good thing), so it all stays dry. The DB connectors slide into each other so no problem there. I did put dessicant packs in the joystick & display cases.
    My next step is to add a GPS auto-pilot. It will be a Raspberry Pi Zero project. This should allow the yak to drive itself from waypoint to waypoint & spot-lock at any position on the water. I could do the same thing by adding another Picaxe in the joystick box, but the math would be a pain & no wireless GPS control panel on my Kindle.
    The KYK IDC10 bus (described in the yak project) means I simply have to remove the Picaxe-20M2 board & replace it with a Pi board (with a KYK connector & level adapters) when I upgrade. I like the concept of IO hardware being processor independent.
    When it gets warm enough to fish at night, I’ll get my buddy to video the orange yak. With the effects running it looks like a UFO halloween pumpkin on the water (comical but good for fishing).
    The secret to world peace: Nations’ leaders should be fishing buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyBoo View Post
    thanks guys,

The secret to world peace: Nations’ leaders should be fishing buddies.
    Amen, Bro!

The Japanese have a variant; taking a hot bath together.

The Japanese Prime Minister had hinted he would invite Vladimir Putin for a hot bath to discuss the Kuril Islands. Don't know if the meeting ever occurred, but to my knowledge, the Kurils remain solidly Russian.
    "Will design analog circuitry for Beer."