Error in new Picaxe Shield?

Gonçalo

why does this happens. i have two equal shields. i bougth annother cause i thougt the older was in bad shape. Now i find out both do the same?? what is happening. everytime a put 5v on the in pin c1 or more pin stay on. this case c2 and c3. happens the same to c2 c3 c4 c5.

in the older it starts to on and off like a christmas tree.

dfghjk.PNG

Attachments

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The I/O pins of the Shield Base do not have pull-down or pull-up resistors fitted to them so are floating and may randomly switch values, which seems to be what you are experiencing.

If you connect a 10K resistor between the input pin and 0V, that should solve your flickering and latching-on problems.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Double check that you have the pull-down resistor connected to the correct socket pin which you are monitoring. The socket pin numbering is in the AXE401 datasheet.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I will have to take your word for that. The image as posted is too small and too dark to be able to tell.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Thanks. It does look correct so, unless the resistor isn't making good contact with the socket, I am not sure what would be causing the problem.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
You only have 1 resistor. The other pins near it, e.g. C.2 and C.3 (if using C.1) are still floating, and will hence still float high or low at random. If you want C.2 and C.3 to stay low you must also put a resistor on them as well (ie 3 resistors in total).