Noob question - which starter pack to buy

endure

Hi all

I'm thinking about starting to learn about Picaxe and intend to buy a starter pack. I notice that the Picaxe 8, 14 and 20 kits are pretty much the same price. Is there any benefit to buying one rather than another or should I just get the 20 which presumably has a better spec?

Thanks.

techElder

Start with the 8M2 "8". You will learn more by trying to squeeze projects into fewer available pins! :)

You will not learn less with the "8" rather than one of the others.

Buzby

Welcome to the forum !.

It really depends on what experience you've got with general electronics.

If you think a breadboard is what you make your sandwiches on, then go for any of the starter packs.

If you know how to read a resistor's value, and can wire an 1N4148 the right way round, then go for the AXE401.

Whatever you choose, you will get a lot of help on here.

Cheers,

Buzby

eggdweather

My favorite is the AXE110, it has an on-board clock, storage and access to pins via terminal blocks for connections to e.g. DS18B20 thermometer, LDR and many other sensors. It's a very versatile board.

endure

Welcome to the forum !.

It really depends on what experience you've got with general electronics.

If you think a breadboard is what you make your sandwiches on, then go for any of the starter packs.

If you know how to read a resistor's value, and can wire an 1N4148 the right way round, then go for the AXE401.

Whatever you choose, you will get a lot of help on here.

Cheers,

Buzby
I can do all this but I learn it all a long time ago and haven't used it for years.

Goeytex

I would suggest a 20 Pin Starter Pack along with a Breadboard. I can't tell you how many times folks with 8 Pin versions have quickly run out of pins as they add external peripherals. This 20 Pin Pack can also work with 08M2, 14M2, 20M2 and 20X2 Picaxe chips.

If cost is no object then the AXE091 recommended above by Technical might be a good idea.

Last edited:

endure

I would suggest a 20 Pin Starter Pack along with a Breadboard. I can't tell you how many times folks with 8 Pin versions have quickly run out of pins as they add external peripherals. This 20 Pin Pack can also work with 08M2, 14M2, 20M2 and 20X2 Picaxe chips.
Can you use smaller chips in a 20 pin socket then? I already have a breadboard so this might be a plan.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Can you use smaller chips in a 20 pin socket then? I already have a breadboard so this might be a plan.
Yes 08M2 and 14M2 can be used in a 20M2 board, and 08M2 can be used in a 14M2 board. Just ensure that pin 1 of the chip is in pin 1 of the socket.

You can also simply plug your PICAXE into the breadboard. In that case it is worth considering the AXE029 breaboard adapter programming socket as well. Just plugging a jack socket into breadboard often does not work well because its legs are too short and thin -

www.picaxestore.com/axe029

inglewoodpete

I started out with the AXE092 Schools Experimenter. Don't let the word "school" put you off. The PICAXE 08M2 is mounted on a circuit board along with 3 LEDs, a light dependent resistor (LDR) and a push button switch. This self-contained board can be used for a host of ideas. You can also add a socket strip to allow easy interfacing to a breadboard of other circuit board. The bare board and associated parts are available to assemble the board yourself.

Goeytex

Yes 08M2 and 14M2 can be used in a 20M2 board, and 08M2 can be used in a 14M2 board. Just ensure that pin 1 of the chip is in pin 1 of the socket.

You can also simply plug your PICAXE into the breadboard. In that case it is worth considering the AXE029 breaboard adapter programming socket as well. Just plugging a jack socket into breadboard often does not work well because its legs are too short and thin -

www.picaxestore.com/axe029
Just make sure that you do not try to use an 18M2 in the 20-pin board. The power pins and serial pins do not match up.

premelec

FWIW I'd go with a 20 pin socketed board and buy an 8 a 14 and 20 pin PICAXE and try them all... [as noted 18 pin has power etc pins in places incompatible with 8-14-20 types]