Transferrability??

Jim T

Some time back prior to the release of PE6, Clive Seager made some posts which suggested that the code from PE6 could somehow be used to load generic PIC chips. If this is possible, then exactly how does one do this?

Circuit

This would indeed be a splendid development...but not yet available I think; keep wishing! You can, however, do this on a limited number of PIC chips with this PICAXE programmer http://www.picaxestore.com/index.php/en_gb/bas800.html. My understanding is that this still needs PE5 as PE6 does not (yet?) support PICAXE's own programmer.

Edit; well, there you go; writing my posting clashed with Hippy. Another promise, again no timescale. "Future" can be a very long time on the PICAXE clock!

Goeytex

This will be a future capability of PE6.
1) What "Programmer" will be required? PICKIT3? or Something Else?
2) What PIC chips will be supported?
3) Will this reduce interpreted Basic processing overhead or not?
4) Will this free up programming memory previously used by Basic Firmware?
5) We waited > 8 years for simple math brackets that never happened. Why should we think this will ever happen?

Not holding my breath. :)

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
1) Any, PICKit3 recommended.
2) A limited selection of modern PICs in various pin sizes, it is impossible to support every old legacy type.
3) There is then no interpreter, so yes.
4) See 3)
5) We do not give release dates in advance.

Circuit

1) What "Programmer" will be required? PICKIT3? or Something Else?
2) What PIC chips will be supported?
3) Will this reduce interpreted Basic processing overhead or not?
4) Will this free up programming memory previously used by Basic Firmware?
5) We waited > 8 years for simple math brackets that never happened. Why should we think this will ever happen?

Not holding my breath. :)
I never understood why the development and support for the BAS800 was discontinued. This is a neat and functional little programmer which is software locked to Program Editor, facilitating conversion of PICAXE BASIC programs into Assembler and then programming of a PIC - complete with a sensible and simple user interface. The lock to the Program Editor meant that RevEd gained the profit on the programmer instead of each PIC with the in-built interpreter. Everyone happy? - I certainly was; until this - http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?26505-PICAXE-PIC-programmer-error&highlight=BAS800. So I now have to use a secondary computer to run the thing on the occasions that I wish to. The programmer was/is capable of programming 8, 14, 18, 20, 28, 40 pin PICS - and tantalisingly by hitting Ctrl shift F8 - 64 pin PICs. Development support stopped at the equivalent of the 40X (16F874A) or thereabouts. If only the software was updated for modern PICs I would be very happy indeed.

It is notable that the sales page http://www.picaxestore.com/index.php/en_gb/bas800.html and the accompanying datasheet http://www.picaxe.com/docs/bas800.pdf still refer generically to the use of Programming Editor without indicating support was discontinued with version 5.
Programming Editor (BASIC or assembler code files)
This free software allows assembler code or BASIC programs to be entered, assembled
and programmed. It is a complete assembly code development environment. This
software may also be used with the BASIC interpreter which allows programs written in
PICAXE BASIC to be automatically converted into assembler code.

-And Program Editor 5 only allows conversion to target the equivalents of PICAXE08, 18A and 28.

Anyway, like Texasclodhopper, I am excited about this function arriving in Program Editor 6 - my PICKIT 3 is ready and waiting. Like Goeytex though, I am not holding my breath...

Last edited:

Buzby

Loading PE6 output direct to a raw PIC ?
That is of no interest to me at all !.

What I'm waiting for is the X3 chips, those with real strings and FP math, plus a lot of other bits and pieces.

I'm quite happy to wait for these, because PICAXE is by far and away the easiest platform to work with.
But we know that Rev-Ed will not announce beforehand, so the meantime I will carry on using something else.

I'm not holding my breath !.