RGB Led ring

Steve2381

Hello all.

I obtained a 24 RGB Led ring today (Adafruit). Apparently needs a 5v supply and a data signal to control it.
I searched RGB led, Adafruit, ring etc in here and nothing came up. Anyone got any idea where there might be a base code for Picaxe?

I know there is one in the Arduino library, but I didn't really want to use an Arduino for this.... (In fact, a Picaxe libary of useful coding would be very handy).

You can control each of the Leds individually, but I am not really worried about doing that.
I would actually like to simply drive the ring through the colours available.

I have a strip of RGB leds here as well, but they simply have R-G-B to them - via a simple Ebay controller. I assume they change colour depending on the voltage mix applied to each input (correct me if I am wrong!)

So.... could I in theory then sample that voltage from the above R-G-B controller and convert that using 3x ADC10 to make the ring light up in the matching colours?

I shall continue Googling...

nick12ab

The driver chip used (and indeed this product) has been discussed on the forum before (Google search) and it seems the PICAXE is not fast enough to control it. You may have to program an Arduino which can be controlled by a PICAXE.

Steve2381

Thanks Nick. For some reason, if I search RGB in here... I get nothing, but a search in Google returns links to this forum? Odd

Bill.b

The LEDs used are WS2812, if you search using this number you will find there has been several discussions on the subject.

A alternative to Arduino is the micromite using the pic32MX170 28 pin chip.

Bill

Last edited:

premelec

Hi - I gave up direct drive attempts with the WS units and went to APA102 units [adafruit calls them something cute - perhaps DOTSTAR] - The APA102 units have a higher strobe rate if you don't use the global dim feature and I like that as well as the easier timing and coding...

Last edited:

john2051

I don't know if its any help but westaust55 did an interesting article on the ws2801 (I think) using picaxe
john

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
There is a good comparison of various LED RGB chips here: http://www.nledshop.com/pixelchipsets/
That seems to show "APA102/APA104" as being equivalent, whereas the datasheest I have shows the APA102 as 2-wire and the APA104 as 1-wire and compatible with the WS2811/WS2812.

I cannot comment on the LPD devices but my understanding is -

APA102 - Easily controlled directly from a PICAXE.

WS2801 - Directly controllable by a fast enough PICAXE with appropriate code.

WS2811 / WS2812 / WS2812B / APA104 - Not controllable by PICAXE.