4-20mA project

dan123456

I've just tried that and i'm getting a constant 0V at pin B.1. I changed the potentiometer which is varying the input voltage, just on the odd chance it would make a difference and it didn't

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Perhaps post a photo of your board with pot and LED connected. There shouldn't be any reason it doesn't work if wired correctly.

You could try the following to check that the LED can be controlled -

Code:
Do
  High B.1 : Pause 1000
  Low  B.1 : Pause 1000
Loop
If that doesn't toggle the LED on and off every second then possibly the LED is faulty, connected to the wrong pin, or wired backwards.

dan123456

IMG_2189 (1).JPG

This is my setup for the the code:

Code:
 Do
  ReadAdc C.1, b0
  If b0 > 102 Then
    High B.1
  Else
    Low B.1
  End If
Loop
I've checked the LED and is working okay

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
You appear to be using two different power supplies on PCB/breadboard? If so you need to join the 0V (black) rails together.

Its hard to tell but it also looks like the green wire is not in same power rail as the terminal block.

Last edited:

dan123456

Thanks! thats worked

For some reason when i use the code below when just the output B3 is meant to be on and the rest of them off, B2 is also on

Code:
 Do
  ReadAdc C.2, b0
  If b0 > 102  Then
    High B.2
    low B.1
    low B.3
    Else
    low B.2
  End If

readadc C.2, b0
	if b0 > 230 then
	high B.3
	low b.1
	low b.2

else
	Low B.3
endif

readadc C.2, b0
	if b0 <102 then
	high B.1
	low B.2
	low B.3
else
	low B.1
endif
loop 
end

dan123456

I've just realised that even when I disconnect the power from my project board, 2 of the LED's will still light up and when I move the potentiometer, they dim and brighten accordingly. I'm guessing this is the problem but I can't understand why it's happening :confused:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
For some reason when i use the code below when just the output B3 is meant to be on and the rest of them off, B2 is also on
Quite possibly, or it may at least look that way.

You set and clear LED's multiple times so B.2 is turned on because the ADC is greater than 102, and then B.2 is turned off because ADC is greater than 230. The pulsing of B.2 probably makes it seem like it's on all the time.

Similarly, when ADC is greater than 102, B.3 is turned off, then turned on because ADC is greater than 230. It's pulsing similarly as B.2 does which means they will probably appear to have the same brightness, both turned on when neither are continually turned on at all.

The solution is to restructure your code so only one IF clause is ever executed in the loop which turns on the LED you want on and turns off the others. You also only need to do one READADC at the start of the loop, and you can remove the explicit check for less than 102, which probably should be less than or equal to 102 -

Code:
Do
  ReadAdc C.2, b0
  If b0 > 102 Then
     If b0 > 230 Then
      :
    Else
      :
    End If
  Else ; b0 <= 102
    :
  End If
Loop
That could be better written as -

Code:
Do
  ReadAdc C.2, b0
  If b0 > 230 Then
    :
  Else
    If b0 > 102 Then
      :
    Else ; b0 <= 102
      :
    End If
  End If
Loop
You can tighten that up with ELSEIF commands -

Code:
Do
  ReadAdc C.2, b0
  If b0 > 230 Then
    :
  ElseIf b0 > 102 Then
    :
  Else
    :
  End If
Loop
And even more so with SELECT CASE -

Code:
Do
  ReadAdc C.2, b0
  Select Case b0
    Case > 230
      :
    Case > 102
      :
    Else
      :
  End Select
Loop
So what you probably want to end up with is ...

Code:
Do
  ReadAdc C.2, b0
  Select Case b0
    Case > 230
      Low  B.1 : Low  B.2 : High B.3
    Case > 102
      Low  B.1 : High B.2 : Low  B.3
    Else
      High B.1 : Low  B.2 : Low  B.3
  End Select
Loop
Or the most compact version of that ...

Code:
Do
  ReadAdc C.2, b0
  Select Case b0
    Case > 230 : Low  B.1 : Low  B.2 : High B.3
    Case > 102 : Low  B.1 : High B.2 : Low  B.3
    Else       : High B.1 : Low  B.2 : Low  B.3
  End Select
Loop

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I've just realised that even when I disconnect the power from my project board, 2 of the LED's will still light up and when I move the potentiometer, they dim and brighten accordingly. I'm guessing this is the problem but I can't understand why it's happening :confused:
Welcome to "phantom powering", where all sorts of weird and wonderful things can happen. The PICAXE is probably being powered by a voltage through the pot or perhaps the download cable.

I wouldn't worry about it particularly and it's not likely the cause of the issue with your program - see above.

dan123456

That works perfectly Hippy! thanks very much :)

I'm planning to use 10 LED's in total, So I just added one more LED using the same concept to see if I could get it to work but it didn't.

Code:
 Do
  ReadAdc C.2, b0
  Select Case b0
    Case > 230 : Low  B.1 : Low  B.2 : High B.3 : Low  B.4
    Case > 102 : Low  B.1 : High B.2 : Low  B.3 : Low  B.4
    Case > 204 : Low  B.1 : Low  B.2 : Low  B.3 : High B.4
    Else       : High B.1 : Low  B.2 : Low  B.3 : Low  B.4
  End Select
Loop

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I just added one more LED using the same concept to see if I could get it to work but it didn't.
That's because the > 102 condition will be met before the > 204 case is ever reached. You need the > 204 after > 230 but before > 102.

dan123456

Hi Guys, almost there now!

I've got two pieces of code, one for my OLED screen and the other for my LED's. At the moment they are in two different documents but I need them to be in the same one so that I can program the 18M2 chip, I was wondering how I'd go about merging the two?

Code:
 low b.7 ; Initialise OLED output
pause 500 ; Waif for OLED to initialise
Serout B.7,N2400_4,(254,1)   '// Clear Display 
Pause 10
serout b.7, n2400, ( 254, $82 ) ; First line of display
serout b.7, n2400, ("Temperature:") ; Display "Temperature"

main: readadc10 C.2, W0
      w0 = w0 * 44 / 45
      bintoAscii w0,b5,b5,b6,b7,b8 ; Convert temperature to ascii digits
      serout b.7, n2400, ( 254, 197 ) ; Line 1, Position 6  
      serout b.7, n2400, (B5,B6,B7)
      serout b.7, n2400, (".")
      serout B.7, n2400, (b8)
      Serout B.7, n2400, ("    ")
	serout b.7, n2400, ("C")
      pause 1000 ; Wait a second

goto main
Code:
 do
  ReadAdc C.2, b0
  Select Case b0
Case > 230 : High B.7 : Low  B.6 : Low  B.5 : Low  B.4 : Low  B.3 : Low  B.3 : Low  B.2 : Low  B.1 : Low  C.7 : Low  C.6
Case > 204 : Low  B.7 : High B.6 : Low  B.5 : Low  B.4 : Low  B.3 : Low  B.3 : Low  B.2 : Low  B.1 : Low  C.7 : Low  C.6
Case > 179 : Low  B.7 : Low  B.6 : High B.5 : Low  B.4 : Low  B.3 : Low  B.3 : Low  B.2 : Low  B.1 : Low  C.7 : Low  C.6
Case > 153 : Low  B.7 : Low  B.6 : Low  B.5 : High B.4 : Low  B.3 : Low  B.3 : Low  B.2 : Low  B.1 : Low  C.7 : Low  C.6
Case > 128 : Low  B.7 : Low  B.6 : Low  B.5 : Low  B.4 : High B.3 : Low  B.3 : Low  B.2 : Low  B.1 : Low  C.7 : Low  C.6
Case > 102 : Low  B.7 : Low  B.6 : Low  B.5 : Low  B.4 : Low  B.3 : High B.3 : Low  B.2 : Low  B.1 : Low  C.7 : Low  C.6
Case > 77  : Low  B.7 : Low  B.6 : Low  B.5 : Low  B.4 : Low  B.3 : Low  B.3 : High B.2 : Low  B.1 : Low  C.7 : Low  C.6
Case > 51  : Low  B.7 : Low  B.6 : Low  B.5 : Low  B.4 : Low  B.3 : Low  B.3 : Low  B.2 : High B.1 : Low  C.7 : Low  C.6
Case > 26  : Low  B.7 : Low  B.6 : Low  B.5 : Low  B.4 : Low  B.3 : Low  B.3 : Low  B.2 : Low  B.1 : Low  C.7 : High C.6
Else       : Low  B.7 : Low  B.6 : Low  B.5 : Low  B.4 : Low  B.3 : Low  B.3 : Low  B.2 : Low  B.1 : High C.7 : Low  C.6 

End select
Loop

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
It seems to me that you can take the second code from between DO and LOOP and paste it into the first before the PAUSE 1000.

dan123456

That seems to work hippy. The system works fine but if I disconnect the power to the project board and reconnect it the "Picaxe.com serial OLED" automatic message tries to come up on the screen as shown in the attached picture

pic.JPG

dan123456

Hi again

After properly Testing the merged code, not all the LED's come on when they should (most of them do) and the screen works perfectly. However, when I tested the LED code by it self it worked fine and the same with the screen. It was only when I merged the two that I am getting problems, any ideas? :)

dan123456

Thanks for the advice hippy, I found a few faults in the LED code and a misplaced wire. Works fine now. Finally finished :)

inglewoodpete

Simplify!

After properly Testing the merged code, not all the LED's come on when they should (most of them do) and the screen works perfectly. However, when I tested the LED code by it self it worked fine and the same with the screen. It was only when I merged the two that I am getting problems, any ideas? :)
The code that you posted in #51 is unnecessarily complicated and you appear to have confused yourself, too - output B.3 is duplicated and, in some cases, getting turned on and off in the same Case branch.

Since only one LED is turned on in every case, why not turn them all off in one statement and then selectively turn on just the one you want? Refer to the revised code, below:
Code:
[color=Blue]Do
  ReadAdc C.2[/color][color=Black], [/color][color=Purple]b0
  [/color][color=Blue]Low B.7[/color][color=Black], [/color][color=Blue]B.6[/color][color=Black], [/color][color=Blue]B.5[/color][color=Black], [/color][color=Blue]B.4[/color][color=Black], [/color][color=Blue]B.3[/color][color=Black], [/color][color=Blue]B.2[/color][color=Black], [/color][color=Blue]B.1[/color][color=Black], [/color][color=Blue]C.7[/color][color=Black], [/color][color=Blue]C.6
  Select Case [/color][color=Purple]b0
   [/color][color=Blue]Case [/color][color=DarkCyan]> [/color][color=Navy]230
      [/color][color=Blue]High B.7
   Case [/color][color=DarkCyan]> [/color][color=Navy]204
      [/color][color=Blue]High B.6
   Case [/color][color=DarkCyan]> [/color][color=Navy]179
      [/color][color=Blue]High B.5
   Case [/color][color=DarkCyan]> [/color][color=Navy]153
      [/color][color=Blue]High B.4
   Case [/color][color=DarkCyan]> [/color][color=Navy]128
      [/color][color=Blue]High B.3    [/color][color=Green]'??
   [/color][color=Blue]Case [/color][color=DarkCyan]> [/color][color=Navy]102
      [/color][color=Blue]High B.3    [/color][color=Green]'??
   [/color][color=Blue]Case [/color][color=DarkCyan]> [/color][color=Navy]77
      [/color][color=Blue]High B.2
   Case [/color][color=DarkCyan]> [/color][color=Navy]51
      [/color][color=Blue]High B.1
   Case [/color][color=DarkCyan]> [/color][color=Navy]26
      [/color][color=Blue]High C.6
   Else
      High C.7
   End select
Loop[/color]