PE 6.0.8.1 no time

bwaii

After hours of trying to get the time to work in the new Editor I copied the same code to the old editor and it runs fine. Anybody else have problems with this? It took awhile because I'd not used that feature before and thought I was just missing something - ad maybe I still am. I'm a middlebie. Not a newbie but far from a probie.

Thanks

In re-reading this post I realized it wasn't clear. The "time" function doesn't work. For example w0=time is always empty.

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
PE6 simulates in 'simulation time' not 'real time'. Therefore if you have a loop without any pauses you may need several hundred loops before the time value increments (as would occur on a real chip in 'real time').

bwaii

Tried some copied from Picaxe site and this.

symbol OldTime=w0

do
if time > OldTime then '1 sec passed, change lite
OldTime=time
toggle c.2
endif
loop

works fine in 5.5, never toggles in 6.o.8.1

Next post has answer which led to work-around. A short pause in loop cobbles it but didn't need the duct tape in v5.5.

bwaii

That got around it. Of course, I used 'time' to avoid 'pause'. Didn't need that w/ v5.5. Later I'm going to leave it running to see how long it takes.

Was the "Check firmware version" button removed or just well hidden? I liked that to test to see if I had the chip "online".

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
On a real chip it will takes hundreds and hundreds of your tight do...loop before time increments a value, PE6 simply does the same to provide a more realistic simulation.
The firmware version link is directly under where you select the chip type in the Workspace Explorer.

bwaii

Found link. I was looking under COM and in settings like before. Makes more sense here.

490 (approx) But it takes awhile.

Guess I'll be keeping both versions.

Thanks for your help.