A027 has disappeared

friis

Hi,
I was stupid enough to install Windows 10 (free of charge). It did'nt work, so I returned to Windows 8.1, but then I get "COM port: non available" in PICAXE Editor. It appears that I have the A027 driver installed in 3 locations (one of which is C:/Users/Torben/Documents/A027). I can't find the driver in Device manager, so I cant follow your instructions for manual install. PICAXE Editor can't find the driver.
When I returned to Windows 8.1 I had the Danish version of Windows (C:/Brugere....), but it did'nt help to return to the English texts (C:/Users...).
Can anyone help?
best regards
torben

friis

Hi,
I found the A027 in Device Manager under hidden files. DM tells me that the hardware (A027) is'nt connected to the computer - but it is. I have tried to disconnect and connect without effect. However, A027 does'nt give the correct "noice" when I connect it. Does that mean that the A027 does not function (correctly)?
torben

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
A hidden device in Device Manager usually indicates a device which has been connected, detected, and identified in the past but which is not currently connected or not currently detected.

One resolution for issues related to hidden devices is to disconnect the device, uninstall the hidden device, re-boot, and then reconnect the device. When connecting the AXE027 cable ensure the jack plug is unplugged, is not connected to a PICAXE board.

The AXE027 requires two drivers, one which handles the USB cable connection, and the other which presents that as a serial COM port. It is necessary for both drivers to be installed to use the AXE027 as a COM port. It may be necessary to remove both drivers ( hidden or not ) to ensure a clean reinstall.

It seems unlikely the AXE027 would have become damaged or stopped working. You could try connecting the cable and installing the drivers on another computer to test if it works there.

friis

Hi hippy,
Thank you for your answer. I did as you said: Unplugged the A027, uninstalled
it in Device Manager, re-booted the comp. and plugged the A027 in. But it
did'nt work.
Now I have:
1. I have reinstalled the driver (zip) and I am asked to install it in
c:/Brugere/Torben/Dokumenter/AXE027
When I go to the A027 USB Driver Folder indicated in PICAXE Editor/Configure and
test I get c:/Programmer (x86)/Revolution Education/PICAXE Editor/USB
Drivers/AXE027. I belive it is in one other directory.
2. No device A027 in the Device Manager - not hidden either
3. In order to install the driver I should now go to Hardware and Sound/Devices
and Printers and there find the A027 - but I dont. There is a "Unspecified" but
it is there wether the A027 is pugged in or not.
So I am stuck.

Should'nt the Device manager recognize A027 as a plug-and-play device?

Unfotunately I dont have another Windows computer.
torben

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Can you find more information which will help identify what this "unspecified device" is, perhaps by viewing its properties in Device Manager.

Which category section of Device Manager does it appear in ? Does it have a yellow exclamation mark against it ?

Do any other devices in Device Manager have yellow exclamation marks against them ?

friis

Hi hippy,
When I right ckick it I get:

USB HID Library Model: USB HID Library
Category Input device:

When I left-click it and then click Trouble shoot I get:

"Detecting problems" and next "USB input Device is an older USB device and
might not work with USB 3.0".

or if I click Properties/Hardware:

-HID-compliant vendor-defined device
-USB input device

It also says that the device works properly and that the driver is supplied by
Microsoft.

The last thing indicates that it has nothing to do with PICAXE.

I am inclined to delete PICAXE Editor and start all over, but will I retain my
PICAXE files?
And shall I in that case assume that the A027 has never been installed on my
comp. before?

The device does nt have an exclamation mark, but "my computer" does. However,
that concerns Virtuel Blue Tooth Support.

torben

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The PICAXE Editor is entirely separate from the AXE027 drivers so deleting or re-installing will not make any difference. It would be sensible to take backups of your PICAXE programs, and it would always be recommended to do that before upgrading an OS, and on a regular basis.

I would suggest finding a family member, friend or colleague who can test the AXE027 on their PC.

friis

Hi hippy,
I have tried out the A027 on my Linux computer and it did'nt work.
I have reinstalled PICAXE Editor and A027 still does'nt work.
I think there is something wrong wih the A027 and I have ordered a new one.
Thanks for your help - now we will see when the new one arrives.
torben