WinAXEpad "Test" function

tracecom

In using WinAXEpad, with a standard (not USB) serial cable and a standard (10k, 22k) programming circuit, I notice that there is a "Test" function. (Options, Port, Test, choose radio button)

Through experimentation, I found that the result of my radio button choice affected the Serial In lead, i.e., "High" brought the Serial In lead to a logic high, which stopped the program's execution, "Low" brought the Serial In lead to a logic low, and which allowed the program to execute, but "Disconnected" seemed to do the same as "Low."

My questions are:

1. Is what I have observed normal?
2. Would it operate the same with an AXE027?
3. Would it operate the same in LinAXEpad?
4. Would it operate the same in both "flavors" of MacAXEpad?
5. What are the purposes (intended uses) of the "High," "Low," and "Disconnected" choices?

Thanks.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
High opens the serial port and asserts a break signal. This should take the serial in pin greater than 3V.

Low opens the serial port and deasserts the break signal. This should take the serial in pin to near 0V or negative.

Disconnect closes the serial port. The serial pin should then be pulled down to 0V because of the download interface circuit.

What you describes seems to be as expected, should apply to whatever type of PICAXE compatible cable ), and should be the same on Linux and Mac.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
It is the serial port test; so you would use it if you wanted to perform a serial port test, to check a cable were working as expected, delivering correct polarity signals.