Prototype Board

julianE

It certainly does look clean on top. Thanks for the wire wrap info, I am fairly certain I have some of that wire and also the tool that goes with it...now to find it.
It's hard to believe that at one time an entire backplane of a Digital PDP-11 series was wire wrapped. I came in at the tail end of that generation of machines, I think 11-84 was the last of the ones I threw into the dumpster. There is so little poetry to today's machine compared to the older ones.

I have run into a bit of a snag with my project, 433 MHz modules do not work well in proximity of ESP8266 or the Bluetooth module. I did test the LCD and it works fine being powered by 5V but driven with a 3.3V picaxe. I'm thinking of having an extension cable for the 433 modules, hopefully 1/2 a meter away should be ample. I'll post photos of the jumper wire jungle soon.

bpowell

Yeah, I use the bus wire, and just strip and solder...I haven't wire-wrapped since my military days working on an old test-station.

Sorry to hear all your radios aren't playing well together...I imagine the close proximity may still cause a problem, even if they are on different frequencies...moving one away should to the trick.

It's certainly worth a try!

julianE

Brendan, I finally got around to testing your board with a raw pic, 18F14K22, using a PICkit 3. Lights blinking first try. I just read on the forum today that the code from PE6 will be able to be loaded to a generic pic in the future. your board design would be perfect for that.

Thanks again for sharing your design.

bpowell

Awesome Julian! I'm glad to board is working for you!

The 18F14K22 is one of my favorites! It's my "Go to" chip!

I'm glad the PCB is working for you!

I'm looking forward to loading from PE6 to a RAW PIC!

julianE

Brendan, which bootloader do you use for 18F14K22, I've been reading up on it and there are a number of choices, I just want to play with the regular serial, USB is too memory intensive.

bpowell

I use the Tiny AVR-PIC Bootloader...

It looks like there is a more recent version...I might check it out. It's about 100 words of code...so very small...and there is a simple utility that you can run to load HEX files via serial.

Once you load the bootloader (via ICSP) you'll also need to change the configuration of future programs in MPLAB to use different memory locations...

Project Properties, Linker, Memory Model, ROM Ranges: default,-3F30-4000

With this change MPLAB will not overwrite the bootloader with your application code.