special rtc

idema

Hi, is there; does anyone know of a rtc that gives day of year, sunrise, length of day as well as the hourly time?

Orville

Circuit

As sunrise and length of day will depend entirely on your latitude and longitude I fear that you will have to calculate these locally. You would need a reference table and GPS location as well as the current time (which would be available from a GPS receiver) in order to calculate the values that you need. This is all straightforward mathematically but is not a simple project. So I think the answer to your question would be a GPS receiver and a set of local reference tables. Could this be achieved with a PICAXE? Yes, I think it could.

techElder

I am pretty sure that someone here has done work on that exact thing. You might have to search hard to find it.

inglewoodpete

I have written code to make a crude clock on an M2-series PICAXE. It predicts sunrise and sunset each day so that it can switch a (large) lighting display on an off by a set of rules. The software uses the previous day's sunrise and sunset data, via a light sensor, to predict the next day's times. It is not a "real Time Clock" but it never needs (manual) adjusting. :) :)

Depending on your skill level, you could incorporate a Real Time Clock if you wanted to.