Uni Controller

BenPuli

Hi guys, I haven't posted on the forum before, so I'd thought its about time and show you what I've been working on, using a PICAXE 40x2. This is version 1, version 2 is in the pipework's
Currently, on the controller I have a Real time clock (DS1307), SMT audio transducer, 1-wire temp probe (DS18B20), SMD 18M2 LCD serial IC, Mini LCD (MBC16232), SMD PICAXE 40X2 and lastly a WIFI module

Its intended to be a universal board, where you just add on what you need for your particular project.

Any questions feel free to ask. Hope I've given someone some inspiration. Great forum, keep up the great projects!

Cheers, Ben

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Excellent project and welcome to the forum.

Can you tell us a little more about your board because I am sure members would be interested in hearing about it. What WiFi module you use, the purpose of the D connectors; are they joystick connectors ?

BenPuli

Thanks hippy,
The D connectors are for peripheral devices. At the moment one is for programming the 40X2 and the other is for external devices, really their for anything that can communicate via RS232, joystick included!
The IDC connector has left over I/O pins, I've also sent IC2 bus there, again for peripheral devices, plus power lines.
The tactile buttons are just for user interfacing with the LCD

This picture shows pre development as I tried to set it up on a Shield base, I obviously gave up and created my own circuit board, but you can see the WIFI module which I bought from eBay, at the moment there not the cheapest unit, around AU$50

Any other questions please let me know

Cheers

lbenson

Nice project. For the next version, you might bring i2c out conveniently (if it's not already there for the DS1307). Note that the drop-in replacement RTC, the DS3231, is said to be "High Precision".

BenPuli

Thanks lbenson, I'll look up the DS3231 for the next version, will probably upgrade the crystal as well. What do you mean by 'bring i2c out conveniently'? Are you saying to have them as a dedicated connector, instead of the IDC connector?
Currently they do run to the DS1307

lbenson

Yes, I would add a separate I2C connector. There are many devices available. Perhaps in addition to rather than "instead of the IDC connector".