Quick AXE408 Question

AlbertZ

When writing code do we use the shield nickname pin reference (e.g. S.A1) or the actual PICAXE pin name?

premelec

I haven't used the 408 but would expect that the editor doesn't specifically recognize #AXE408 as a directive to use other than pin references - perhaps someone with more info will confirm or correct me... :)

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The 28X2 compiler includes predefined pin definitions for the traditional names of pins and shield pins as defined on an AXE401 so you can use either. It is probably better and easier to use the shield pin names.

AlbertZ

The 28X2 compiler includes predefined pin definitions for the traditional names of pins and shield pins as defined on an AXE401 so you can use either. It is probably better and easier to use the shield pin names.
Thanks much!

premelec

@hippy - interesting.... is there some particular reason the shield isn't marked by PICAXE pin? I'm supposing might be some Arduin convention I'm not familiar with...

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
@hippy - interesting.... is there some particular reason the shield isn't marked by PICAXE pin? I'm supposing might be some Arduin convention I'm not familiar with...
The AXE408 ? That was designed by a third-party, Lets Make Robots, for use with the PICAXE, Arduino and other Shield compatible boards, so uses the standard Shield naming convention of A0-A7 for analogue, 0-13 for digital, which conveniently translate into S.A0-S.A7 and S.0-S.13 PICAXE pin names; "S" for "Shield".