Hardware not found on COMMS, again

koyli

I am getting this error again, but this time the hardware reset method doesn`t work and I cannot program the PICAXE 40X2.
It has worked all day and been programmed several times. I have swapped the chip for one with a smaller program on it, but that is just the same.

Can anyone help?

edmunds

I am getting this error again, but this time the hardware reset method doesn`t work and I cannot program the PICAXE 40X2.
It has worked all day and been programmed several times. I have swapped the chip for one with a smaller program on it, but that is just the same.

Can anyone help?
I have had this condition many times. If you made the chip do something like listening to infrared signal, it is too busy doing that and cannot notice the download request. For some reason. Hardware reset, if executed properly, should always work, though. You switch off the power, start the download and quickly put the power back on. In a few moments - wallaa! Downloading program ....

Don't give up :),

Edmunds

edmunds

I`ve been doing this for the last two hours and getting nowhere.
Do you have at least one chip that works? If not, then obviously it is a problem on your machine or cabe or PCB. If the cable and the PCB is the same, then it is the machine. I don't have much experience with a PC, but when I'm forced to use it, the port seems to "walk around". I mean it was COM8 and next time it has become COM9. For whatever windowsy reason. It never runs away on mac.

Just go to device manager if that is what it is called these days, delete all the ports with the silly red crosses over them, re-install the drivers and start over is what I would try.

Edmunds

westaust55

When doing a hard reset do not be in too much of a hurry to turn the power back on.

Wait until the downloading window pops up and then turn the power on.

From recollection you have 5 seconds scones before the PE gives up if it has not received an acknowledgement from the PICAXE.

Last edited:

premelec

5 scones! hungry editor... :) Also it's worth looking in Device Manager settings on the com port you think is active see if anything has gone awry... [OK I presume 5 seconds is the right time and often it does seem like you have to wait quite long - especially if you have large capacitor in the power supply that must be discharged].

westaust55

5 scones! hungry editor... :) Also it's worth looking in Device Manager settings on the com port you think is active see if anything has gone awry... [OK I presume 5 seconds is the right time and often it does seem like you have to wait quite long - especially if you have large capacitor in the power supply that must be discharged].
Yes.
I blame the iPhone spelling auto correct (while being chauffeur driven to work - aboard the bus  )!
my Fiendishly Flailing Fingers likely missed the "e" and resulted in "sconds" wherein auto correct converted to "scones".

Cloane

I had the same problem with a 08M2 setup where I needed to use C5 as an input (self-cancelling turn signal project for a kit car). During the initial debug work I couldn't get a hard reset to work. In the end I installed PE on to another PC and it worked fine (it was originally installed on a netbook with an Intel Atom running Windows7 Ultimate).

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
A hard reset works because when the PICAXE powers up it first looks for the computer signalling to it that a new download is trying to start. It does this *before* the existing program in memory starts to run.

So it is important that the PICAXE is completely powered off before you start (capacitors discharged) and that the power is only applied a second or so after the download button has been clicked. If this sequence is followed the new download will start, and what program is already in the PICAXE memory does not matter at all as it is never used.

koyli

I have tried every length of delay from switching on the power almost immediately after starting the download, right upto four to five seconds after and nothing has worked. Even after being switched off all night.

It`s a shame because I was just getting to know the programming.

If this is happening now when I am not even halfway through the programming, how will it cope when the program is finished?

Looks like I will have to try something else.

techElder

koyli, I have been doing this with many different types of programs and for many years. I have never had the problem that you are encountering.

There must be something wrong in your setup.

Backtrack on everything. I mean literally look at everything backwards to the way you have been looking at it.

You are overlooking something that will become obvious.

koyli

There must be something wrong in your setup.

Backtrack on everything. I mean literally look at everything backwards to the way you have been looking at it.

You are overlooking something that will become obvious.
Nothing has been changed to the setup since the last download. The only thing I have touched is the keyboard.
As I said earlier, I can download to a smaller chip without problems.

Rick100

Here are a couple of things you can try. If your still using your AXE091 board, I would test the serial port connection by doing the loopback test. On my AXE091, I tested it by removing the Picaxe 40X2 from the board and putting a jumper between pins 6 and 7 for the 40X2. On the Picaxe editor v6 the loopback test is under Settings/comport/configure and test/test download cable. This is simple and will tell you if you have a bad connection. This would explain why the 20M2 can be programmed since it uses a different socket and programming jack. Do you have a second power source in your project that could be powering the Picaxe through one of its I/O pins(phantom power)? If you do get it to program you might consider putting a pause 5000 at the top of the program to give yourself more time before your program starts, although I don't know why that would be necessary.

Good luck,
Rick

Goeytex

The fact that a smaller Picaxe will program is somewhat irrelevant since there are likely connections to the 40X2 that are not the same as connections to the "smaller Picaxe"

These steps are for testing and should not be construed as a final solution

1) Disconnect EVERYTHING from the AXE091 board. EVERYTHING
2) Get rid of the AT power supply and use fresh batteries instead.
3) Remove the 40X2 and check for bent over pins. Correct as needed.
4) Reinstall the 40X2.
5) With Power on, click on the Picaxe Tab and then click "Clear". If you get "hardware not found" after 5 seconds then step 6
6) If it will not program then try a hard reset as previously explained. Power off. Click "clear". Count to 3 then Power on.

7) If it still will not program then do the "Com Port Test". Leave the download cable plugged in.
In the Workspace Explorer click on Configure & Test. Then click on Test Download Cable.
Skip over the Loop back test and get to the Voltage test. Instead of measuring the voltage
at the stereo plug, leave the programming cable connected and use your meter to measure
the voltage between Picaxe Pin 6 (RXD) and Picaxe Pin 12 (Ground). Click on the Green LED
image to see the voltage change on the RXD Pin.

What is the voltage when the LED image is OFF? What is the voltage when the LED image is ON?

bpowell

Please post good pictures of the setup that *doesn't* work with the cables all connected.

Please post good pictures of the setup that *does* work as well (with the cables all connected).

Thanks!

koyli

Rick, Goeytex. I have worked through your checklists and it is now working.

Instead of using this temporary setup, I will build the final circuit board with a proper power supply.

Thanjyou for your help,

koyli

What resolved the issue?
Swapping the power supply back to batteries, as suggested by Goeytex. I now remember seeing it in the manual that PC power supplies are no good for the Picaxe.

I was using it as a temporary measure until I had tested the program. I was using batteries, but as I have six expanders with lots of LED`s connected, they did not last long.

So, a big thankyou to everyone for your help in getting me going again.

Frank42

I had some stabilised 5V power supplies that, according to the 'scope, gave a perfectly smooth output, but they caused problems with the One-bit Micros. (This was a long time ago.) A 100mew capacitor across the power supply cured all.