Running program from external eeprom

edmunds

Dear all,

Has anyone tried the BOOTI2C command? How would one load the eeprom with the program code in the first place?

Thank you for your time,

Edmunds

edmunds

Buzby

One thing to watch out for is the #revision number.

The booti2c command only works when the #revision number of the code in the EEPROM is greater than the #revision of the corresponding code in the PICAXE.

This means everytime you write more EEPROM code you need to update its #revision number.

This is a bit of a pain when developing code, so there is a clever poke to make the PICAXE think that is running a lower #revision before each booti2c.

hippy posted the trick in reponse to a question I asked, but I can't find it now, and I've not got access to my source codes at the moment.

Search about in the forum, it's there somewhere !

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Probably not the trick Buzby is referring to but one trick is not to go for BOOTI2C when developing, but to use RUN commands to execute the code in situ. Or, even more simply, just write it for the default #SLOT 0, only worry about it being an external slot when you need to do that.

It is worth having a play with #SLOT, RUN and BOOTI2c with some simpler SERTXD-style programs just to get a feel for it all before diving in with a more complicated program.