How do you connect a GBX018 Motor/Gearbox to the outside world?

clockwork

I have a GBX018 Motor/Gearbox that I would like to drive a length of M6 threaded studding. However the output shaft from the gearbox is about 5mm across with two flats.
I am having difficulty trying to find a means of coupling it to the studding. Has anybody found a reliable method of connecting the two together?

The motor will be controlled via a PicAxe.

Many thanks Clockwork.

Dartmoor

Does it need to be flexible/allow for slight mis-alignment?
If you are not transmitting much power, you can use a short length of pvc tubing (use smaller size, dip in hot water, then good push fit).

There are a range of couplings available (fixed & U/V joint). I can look them up later if you still need one?

clockwork

Dartmoor.....I didn't think of using flexible tubing. It will be be cheap and help with alignment problems.
I will have a look in the local modelling shop. Thanks for the idea.
Inglewoodpete.....thanks for the information, the only problem is that the adapter is dearer than the GBX018.
I will try the tubing idea first and see how it goes.
Many thanks to both of you.

Clockwork

inglewoodpete

Inglewoodpete.....thanks for the information, the only problem is that the adapter is dearer than the GBX018.
I can't say I really understand the logic here. Surely the overall cost of the project should be the criteria, rather than one component. Overall functionality vs overall cost is the way I determine a solution. Each to their own.

clockwork

Dear Pete (inglewoodpete), I agree with you that cost must be judged relative to functionality. However I am trying to build a project for QRP amateur radio where low cost and simplicity are important. My target for components is £10 (GBP) or less (excludes a box and meter/s, which I already have). So the cost of the adaptor is a significant percentage of my target value.

Improved functionality will probably be dependent on PicAxe memory size and capabilities together with my far from perfect programming skills.

Clockwork