Question about BASIC

Izon

Hi all

This is my first post and I am totally new to PICAXE or any microprosessor and also know pretty much nothing about programming and languages.

Let me start off by asking for clarification on BASIC language. I see information on the web where several versions are mentioned.
I've seen BASICA, BASIC net and a few others I can't recall at the moment. What are the differences and which should I be trying to use
as a complete beginner?

Also can anyone inform me as to the differences in the various microprossesors on the market besides PICAXE such as Arduino, Raspberry Pi, etc.
I'm trying a project with PICAXE now ... is it as good as any and is it good for a beginner.

Thanks for your assistance and I'm sorry if this isn't the best place in the forum to post this.

nick12ab

Let me start off by asking for clarification on BASIC language. I see information on the web where several versions are mentioned.
I've seen BASICA, BASIC net and a few others I can't recall at the moment. What are the differences and which should I be trying to use
as a complete beginner?
Unlike C, BASIC is not a standardised language so every company who makes a BASIC compiler or interpreter-based microcontroller system will have their own different version of BASIC. I'm not aware of any table that compares lots of BASIC variants including PICAXE and it is also impossible to compare BASIC languages for computers with BASIC languages for microcontrollers.

Also can anyone inform me as to the differences in the various microprossesors on the market besides PICAXE such as Arduino, Raspberry Pi, etc.
I'm trying a project with PICAXE now ... is it as good as any and is it good for a beginner.
You would have to ask that on a general electronics forum. Obviously any comparison given on the PICAXE Forum will be biased towards PICAXE, but I think the PICAXE really is the best microcontroller of its type (BASIC interpreter).

Izon

Hi and thanks very much for your reply. I didn't realize that about BASIC nor did I know there is a difference between programming language in a PC vs. a microcontroller. I expected folks to say PICAXE is best on the forum but if one isn't aware of why and how they are different, it's hard to know why to chose one over another. Thanks and best wishes from the USA.

nick12ab

I expected folks to say PICAXE is best on the forum but if one isn't aware of why and how they are different, it's hard to know why to chose one over another. Thanks and best wishes from the USA.
This depends on your application. What is your project going to be?

For example, I think the closest competitor to PICAXE in the USA is the BASIC Stamp. The latter is much more expensive but some versions can do video out whereas no PICAXE can. If you don't need video out, then the BASIC Stamp is a waste of money in that regard.

cravenhaven

I think part of the answer should be about the programming environment and the community support because its those parts that will be used most often. In the case of Picaxe the community support is very friendly and very helpful especially towards beginners. The programming environment is great because it includes the ability to simulate in a graphical environment so you can see "in brilliant colour" the affect your program is having on the individual pins.
As regards other microcontrollers, if you are completely new to programming then Basic is easier to learn than "C" or Arduino. Also remember that PICAXE is really just a chip (or at least a range of chips) whereas Arduino and Raspberry Pi are boards with many chips on them so if you are planning on constructing a small project, the picaxe is much smaller and easier to integrate.