Advice on a OLED display

westaust55

I did not see a link to a Datasheet.

The EBay site has selectors to select the desired protocol and colour.
Only available protocol is SPI although the description states serial and i2c or SPI.

Suggest you make sure exactly what it is for sale, have a Datasheet and even a schematic of any I2C interface so it is clear how to interface to a PICAXE.

Steve2381

I am wading through the datasheet now... there is a LOT of info (the link is at the bottom of the ebay page)
I think SPI is the way I would go anyway. Might have to just jump and see.

Possibly another PCB for the 'displays' parts box in the workshop!

Steve2381

There is a lot of information... and I am kind of lost in it all. For the cost of the display, I may just have a stab and see what results.
Being a graphic display, I just wondered if that took more computing power than a Picaxe could sensibly provide (having never used a graphic display)

nick12ab

There is a lot of information... and I am kind of lost in it all. For the cost of the display, I may just have a stab and see what results.
Being a graphic display, I just wondered if that took more computing power than a Picaxe could sensibly provide (having never used a graphic display)
Since you're only displaying a large single digit, it should be acceptably fast since you will just send a load of pre-determined data to the display all in one go. It's when you try to do stuff which involves extra on-the-fly calculation such as display lots of small characters where the PICAXE struggles.

Steve2381

Thanks guys. I have found a few references (some in here) to the driver chip and the associated commands. I think I will simply give it a go.
Its going to display a simple indicator of which gear my truck is in. I could use a 7 segment LED, but you don't learn new stuff by going with what you know!

westaust55

If your single large character/digit will pretty much fill the display then you will likely need to resend data for every pixel of the display.
For a X2 part running at default clock speed that will require a number of SPI commands and may take a couple of seconds.
Speed up the PICAXE clock speed will help and if the mentioned purpose is the sole function it should be okay time wise.

neiltechspec

I have used an i2c version of one of these (from that seller).

Using it as a 20X8 character to display 8 lines of preset messages.

Quite complicated to set up the correct initialisation commands though.

Neil.