Why is there a transistor?

edmunds

Dear all,

Can anyone explain the point of the transistor/capacitor circuit below?

wtv020_transistor.png

Thank you for your time,

Edmunds

edmunds

Thank you for your quick reply,

So, it would take reset pin high shortly, but not at the same time as power applied?

Edmunds

Reloadron

This is the data sheet for the module. I believe tea monster has what is going on. Pages 18 and 19 of the data sheet(s) show that schematic. They show Q1 as an 809 and also as a AME8500 which are uP supervisory devices, here is the data sheet for the AME8500 family.

The AME8500 family allows the user to customize the
CPU reset function without any external components.
The user has a large choice of reset voltage thresholds,
reset time intervals, and output driver configurations, all
of which are preset at the factory. Each wafer is trimmed
to the customer's specifications.
These circuits monitor the power supply voltage of mP
based systems. When the power supply voltage drops
below the voltage threshold a reset is asserted immediately
(within an interval TD1). The reset remains asserted
after the supply voltage rises above the voltage threshold
for a time interval, TD2 . The reset output may be either
active high (RESET) or active low (RESETB). The reset
output may be configured as either push/pull or open drain.
The state of the reset output is guaranteed to be correct
for supply voltages greater than 1V.
Which pretty much comes down to what tea monster said give or take several dozen words. :)

Ron

edmunds

Ron,

Great links, thank you. I did have the data sheet of both the module and a bare chip (which I'm playing with). Can it be somehow summarised into something a less experienced person without a degree in electronics engineering could grasp? ;)

Thank you for your input,

Edmunds

Reloadron

Ron,

Great links, thank you. I did have the data sheet of both the module and a bare chip (which I'm playing with). Can it be somehow summarised into something a less experienced person without a degree in electronics engineering could grasp? ;)

Thank you for your input,

Edmunds
Yes, in a nutshell, in this application, if the supply voltage dips the monitor throws the chip into a reset state and holds it there preventing damage to the uP. When the power voltage returns it continues to hold a reset state for a period of time.

Notice it is only shown twice and all subsequent RESET is accomplished with a single push button switch to Ground. For an actual circuit application I wouldn't worry about it but even though drawn as a transistor, that is what it is. :)

Ron

inglewoodpete

In simple words, the "transistor" is not a transistor. It is a micro-processor/-controller resetting device. It is attractive due to its small size. As drawn in the circuit in post #1, it does not make sense.

In the old days, we would use a resistor and a small electrolytic capacitor to hold the microprocessor in a reset state until all the peripherals had powered up. That method is much bulkier (and more expensive in mass production).

eggdweather

At power on, the capacitor (104) is initially discharged and will hold the RESET pin low, then very quickly thereafter, the transistor will begin conducting and charge the capacitor to Vcc (3.3-~0.2volts) and the RESET pin will be held high. If the power should fail momentarily, the C will hold the reset pin high (noting it will start to discharge through the reset pin and the reversed bias transistor junction) and if power returns within a yet to be determined time-constant of the C and some R, the PIC will not have been reset, eventually if power is off for long enough the C will be discharged and the process of power-on reset can resume. It is a form of brown out device as it speeds up the reset transition time during power perturbations.

Last edited:

fernando_g

That is a Microchip TCM809 voltage supervisor-reset circuit in a 3 pin package.
Very dumb -if you ask me- to draw it as a NPN transistor.

Now the TCM809 has several variants, depending on the VDD threshold to enable the reset. For 3v3, it is probably a "T" or "S" variant.