Picaxe using adafruit pos printer

rs2845

POS = point of sale. Normally used on tills to print receipts hence point of sale

Do you have a data sheet? I've set up a few PICAXEs to drive other serial thermal printers in the past. Mine weren't adafruit but were up and running within 10 mins as they just required serout commands. Hopefully theirs is the same

jims

Now tell me what "pos" stands for? (Hoping it isn't a statement of quality!)
You bring up a good point Texasclodhopper ... Acronyms are very handy, but often they are unique to the company where you work, to a certain industry,or within the area where you live (not obvious to an outsider). It would help if an acronym was defined the first time that it's used within a FORUM thread. JimS

RAVIS - the ADAFRUIT was about 50 usd - I wanted something not too expensive and what
PICAXEs they are compatible with. I was worried that the ADAFRUIT took too fast
a baud rate. so hesitate to order it. Also very complex operating manual --
all I want is to print outputs such as numerical results

eggdweather

RAVIS - the ADAFRUIT was about 50 usd - I wanted something not too expensive and what
PICAXEs they are compatible with. I was worried that the ADAFRUIT took too fast
a baud rate. so hesitate to order it. Also very complex operating manual --
all I want is to print outputs such as numerical results
serout 7,N19200,("Hello World") where 7 is your PIN number with the UART

srnet

EGGD -- recognize the code but want to print stuff to thermal prntr
eggdweather has given the command which should result in "Hello World" being printed on the thermal printer.

If you want to print other 'stuff' on the printer perhaps give us a clue as to what that 'stuff' is ?

thnx SRNET and EGGD - I think I'll take the plunge and order one from
SPARKFUN if they still have some left - have u ever made a list of all
the modes of OUTPUT from a crazy little 08M2
i think I've tried them all - piezo buzzer , led - well some other time !

sodeaf

I have been playing with one of these all day.. Cant get it to print anything .. Well it does print a line of symbols that's not readable.
Just trying a simple program for now.. I have tried a bunch of things with no luck.

Using a 20x2
setfreq M16

goto printtest

main:
wait 1

goto main

printtest:

serout B.6,N19200_16,("Hello there does this work")

goto main

sodeaf

Hey Rick ,

Yeah I tried that, switching from T and N. I might be wrong but I am counting the serout pin directly from Picaxe to printer. For I thought it was designed for that?? Maybe I'm wrong? I tested the output from the Picaxe with my analyzer and its spot on, printer will print a line of symbols and letters but not what I ask it to. I think I need to send a start command of some sort , but after hours of trying I had to take a break, before I break it!

Thanks again , Steve

eggdweather

Does this work?
1. Power on, press the [feed ]key, for a while , relax the key, it will print out one test sample.
2. You should send it an Initialise command with ESC @ (27) then (64)
3. Try printing (18) (84) or DC2 T which initiates the test print page, it will also confirm the baud rate, so worth doing.

sodeaf

Hello Egg

Yeah I have been able to print test page via holding the feed button and applying power. I will try and send those commands you suggested.

Would it be as simple as

Serout b.7,n19200_16, (27)

Thanks

sodeaf

Ok, Thanks to your help... I got it working.. I sent the initialize command, and then the Print Test Page. It didn't Work, but then I tried swapping to True "T" and It worked right away.. Pretty nifty!

i Have the following code working, Still need to play around, but its a start.

printtest:

serout B.6,T19200_32,(27,14,27,97,49) 'Sets Large Letters 27,14 Sets Center 27,97,49
serout B.6,T19200_32,("BLAZIN BBQ")
serout B.6,T19200_32,(10,27,97,48,27,20) 'space 10 , back to left 27,97,48, Back to reg size 27,20
serout B.6,T19200_32,("Hello Does this work? 1234567891")
serout B.6,T19200_32,(10) ' Space
serout B.6,T19200_32,("Does ot print Nice?")
serout B.6,T19200_32,(10,10,10) '3 Line Spaces
serout B.6,T19200_32,("Test")
serout B.6,T19200_32,(10,27,14) 'Space and Make Large Font
serout B.6,T19200_32,("Spacing?")
serout B.6,T19200_32,(10,10,27,20)
serout B.6,T19200_32,("back to normal?")

pause 500
serout B.6,T19200_32,($0A,10,10,10)

low B.2
goto main

Thanks Again

Steve