Quick electronics query to boost signal using transistor

Hi guys, I have a signal that I want to input into a digital input, basically it is just a square wave about 0 to 0.5v, so I think I need to boost it up to around 0-5v so that I get reliable readings by the picaxe of high/low states, I have some 2n3904 transistors here and a 600 odd assorted values resistor pack, so I'm hoping that I can use these to increase the signal so picaxe will see the signal properly.

Does anyone have a schematic for a simple circuit to do this using the parts I have on hand? I have looked around to try to find something suitable but it is a bit hard to know the exact terms to use.

Thanks.

techElder

Search Google for this "2n3904 switching circuits" ...

The "0.5" volt square wave may be a problem for a single transistor.

inglewoodpete

You may be able to utilise the transistor as an AC amplifier, provided the square-wave frequency does not go too low. You would have to live with some phase shift, which may or my not be a problem. We need more information.

AllyCat

Hi,

Is it actually a "square wave" (i.e. equal mark-space ratio) or a repetitive "pulse", or an arbitrary logic signal? If it is a "wave", what frequency (range) has it got? And what about the levels? Does it swing between, say, 0 and 0.5 volt, or with a higher dc bias, or is it ac (capacitor) coupled? Is it a "clean" signal, or might it have some noise superimposed on the levels? Has it a low or high source impedance (i.e. where does the signal come from) ?

Probably you just need to ground the emitter and connect collector to a PICaxe input. But the answers to the above questions will determine how best to couple/bias the signal into the base.

Or, all modern PICaxes have at least one on-chip comparator which can "slice" any signal applied to a pin at a defined dc level.

Cheers, Alan.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
It should be possible to use the on-chip comparator hardware if the PICAXE chip has that, even if it means playing around with system SFR's. That would be a zero additional components solution and what I would consider first.

AllyCat

Hi,

+1 to that, hippy. And IMHO this is a situation where a FET (with or without a bias network) is probably not the solution.

But until the OP comes back and explains what is meant by "just a square wave about 0 to 0.5v", we're all just guessing.

Cheers, Alan.

darb1972

And if the Picaxe on chip comparator couldn't be set up to do the job I wouldn't use an external FET or transistor but rather suggest the use of an external comparator. It really depends on the application and how accurate the switching (slew rate and levels) need to be.