Third party PICAXE-08M board

nick12ab

Does anyone know who makes this?

It's the same decoupling capacitor-less board that I described here:

On the topic of the importance of decoupling capacitors, recently a teacher handed me five PCBs which each take a 08m2, which is connected to a piezo, two LEDs and a switch (and no decoupling capacitor) and they weren't working. One of them didn't work because the manufacturer failed to test that there was a short between the pads for one LED, three didn't work due to sloppy soldering and the last one was odd - it looked fine but when the switch was pressed the tune would stop as soon as the switch was released and there was no problem with the power connections to the PICAXE. The board worked properly after adding a decoupling capacitor.

So statistically failure to include a decoupling capacitor causes one in five circuits to not work properly. Of course, the 6V AAA battery packs that were powering these things did not influence the results in any way whatsoever.
Continued experience (until around mid-2013) of repairing these boards backed up the statistic of one in five failures being due to the lack of a decoupling capacitor.

nick12ab

Have a look at kitronik.com. Similar boards (no decoupling caps)
Similar boards, but none identical to the one pictured.

I found another mention by me on the forum here:

These are unofficial PCBs marked 'PHG' and allow two LEDs, one piezo, one pushbutton and zero decoupling capacitors to be connected to the PICAXE-08M2.

nick12ab

No one else with any knowledge of these boards?

PHG may refer to Paul Gardiner - a DT teacher, whose website has the (C) PHG copyright notice on it like the PCB here. There's pictures of other decoupling capacitor-less PCBs such as this Christmas tree, Starburst, and electronic die on his website.

I dropped him emails asking if the PCB is his (without mentioning capacitors) to two different email addresses I found on his site, several days ago, but he hasn't replied.

WHITEKNUCKLES

Nick12ab,

Thank you for posting the link to EiSS and it's many links.
The programming adaptor for small surface mount Picaxe boards I do like.
Conductive cord for electric fencing I have and use but designer Picaxe using conductive thread and fabric are new to me and interesting.

Dave