What say all of you?

dthx

Hello All ....first time on the forum.
I have some time on my hands and would like to begin learning Basic so that I can build some electronic gizmos.
I think I've settled on using the Picaxe chip and some kind of board to plug it into.
I'll have some questions from time to time so I'm glad to know that a forum of Picaxe gurus exists.
Here are a couple now.
Thanks for letting me know what you think.
1.)Given that there are hundreds of Basic dialects....which one should I learn....that would be acceptable for electronic projects?
2.)Does the Picaxe use one kind of Basic programming language in particular...?
3.) Can I put the picaxe in ANY board....once I write to it?.....or should I stay with the Picaxe boards only?
4.) Will the Picaxe chip be capable of say......running servos, and cameras, etc. for say....a homemade drone, or to control the H20 temp (valve openings, etc) in my solar hot tub?
Which Basic dialect would you choose ......
I wrote a Basic program to the TRS-80 back in the 80's but have forgotten how I did it....
I could plug in pipe diameters and lengths of pipe to determine if.... when capped off on both ends whether it would bouy up (float) a desired weight....
So there's that.
D.

westaust55

Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

There is only one version of BASIC for the PICAXE microcontrollers.
Alternatives are to program in flow chart language which while it may initially seem simpler has a restricted subset of the full BASIC (text based) language.
The Manuals for the PICAXE BASIC programming language can be downloaded from the “Manuals” link on the black toolbar/ribbon across the top of these forum pages.

As a personal recommendation, if new or with limited electronic experience I would suggest that you use one of the PICAXE boards in the first instance. You can once confident make some of your own boards. Some commercial boards not produced by Revolution Education, not specifically for the PICAXE chip (could be for PIC or PICAXE clones) or as more generic may need your to add links between points on these boards.

The inbuilt BASIC programming langue includes functions for controlling SERVO's. Once you have some programming and interfacing experience I believe that what you mention will all be possible.

Last edited:

lbenson

From some recent research of mine:

Here's a where-to-start thread: http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?14441-Where-to-start-(beginner)

Here's a thread on suggestions for essential components: http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?11666-Suggestions-for-essential-components

Here is a thread about parts suppliers: http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?15092-Where-to-go-to-get-cheap-unique-parts

A couple of my own projects as examples of the range of possibilities:
Pan and tilt camera: http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?13705-Rivercam-with-PICAXE-pan-tilt-control
More complex picaxe-based web server/controller: http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?25050-Picaxe-Web-Server-Water-System-Monitor-and-Controller

jims

This Picaxe development board has enough features to get you started and to carry you a long way once you're up to speed.
PICAXE AXE091 Experimenter Kit (USB). JimS

erco

Jump in, the water's fine. Picaxe is great.

One thing I have discovered is that the older editor (PE5) is less intimidating for new people. PE6 has tons of great features and is better in every way except the learning curve. I am gearing up to teach a 4-hour kids' intro to PicAxe class and we will be using PE5 for simplicity's sake. We'll transition to PE6 later.

The quickest & most foolproof route is to get a premade board and the Rev-Ed programming cable AXE027, Sparkfun or phanderson.com can hook you up in the US. The cheapest way is to roll your own breadboard, but that introduces lots of potential errors: http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?18715-problem-with-downloading-the-program-onto-the-picaxe&p=280312&viewfull=1#post280312

Last edited:

premelec

@dthx - note that the PICAXE would be fine for some of your applications but not likely for ones such as drone attitude control - too slow and lack of math functions. The PICAXE BASIC is far cut down from TR-80 type stuff... however many of the principles and some of the commands are the same. In any case read the manuals [RTFM-A] and look at examples of code posted on this forum and such. The program editor has a good syntax check function which will indicate some errors in your coding but not in your concepts... just DO IT! have fun... Start with tough stuff like turning an LED on and off... :) Progress to servos playing the sitar...

dthx

Drivers for windows 8.1

Someone told me that I should ask if your Picaxe drivers support windows 8.1....which is what I have.
.....before I buy something and start learning.
what say all of you?
D.

dthx

BTW.....I'm using Windows 8.1 with a 64 bit processor in my laptop....an off the shelf HP laptop.
Will the Picaxe editors and drivers and such support 8.1
D.

Last edited by a moderator:

westaust55

@dthx,

I have merged your two threads as you effectively asked the same question in both.

Please only ask a question once.
Folks here will respond as their time and knowledge permits.
Thanks.

cravenhaven

Nice things about the PICAXE environment are:
1. The picaxe is just a chip (several different sizes though) not a board, which means that you can easily unplug the chip from one board and plug it into another. Or design a board yourself etc.
2. The programming editor environment is fantastic for learning as it can simulate the chip in a graphical view and show what is happening with the pins and memory etc.
3. The manuals are well laid out for beginner purposes though the examples are generally pretty poor.
4. The forum is one of the best around for both beginners and experienced in help for both hardware and software.

You wont be dissappointed.

dthx

So...what's in the chip exactly?
A counter, a bunch of switches on the microscopic level?.....that's all it is, huh?
What is the actual code that translates Basic into something that the chip understands?
So the Picaxe chip is "just" a chip made by some manufacturer like intel...and Picaxe puts their code into it ....
Because someone in this thread said that the Picaxe chip is not fast enough to use in a drone.....
So a more powerful chip would be what....bigger....?
Oh well, I'll find out....
First things first...
Thanks for the help.

westaust55

So...what's in the chip exactly?
A counter, a bunch of switches on the microscopic level?.....that's all it is, huh?
What is the actual code that translates Basic into something that the chip understands?
So the Picaxe chip is "just" a chip made by some manufacturer like intel...and Picaxe puts their code into it ....
Because someone in this thread said that the Picaxe chip is not fast enough to use in a drone.....
So a more powerful chip would be what....bigger....?
Oh well, I'll find out....
First things first...
Thanks for the help.
A PICAXE microcontroller is based upon a native/raw PIC microcontroller has produced by Microchip (chip manufacturer).
Revolution Education take these chips and install a bootstrap program and BASIC interpreter program.
The freely available Programming Editor (by Rev Ed) allows you to write your BASIC program (normally in Text format), check the syntax and even simulate operation then download as tokenised BASIC into the PICAXE chip.

Within the PICAXE chip the installed BASIC interpreter fetches each BASIC instruction then jumps to the interpreters routine to execute that BASIC command (the routine is many machine code instructions) before advancing to the next BASIC instruction.
The PIC chips comprise memory (RAM, FLASH memory and EEPROM), a CPU, IO ports (most pins are bi-directional), timers, analog to digital converters and hardware SPI and i2c communications interfaces and much more.
To understand what is included, have a look at the PIC datasheets. Links to these are available on Rev Ed’s PICAXE.com website (see link at top of these forum pages – once there go to What is PICAXE and then PICAXE Labels.)

A read of the PICAXE Manuals will give you an appreciation of what the Revolution Education PICAXE chips utilise from the PIC hardware and the programming language.

The lower tier PICAXE chips are the M2 series. The more "powerful"/higher tier chips are the X2 parts.
More pins relates to more IO pins but the fundamental functions such as memory capacity, i2c comms etc are the same. The X2 parts do have some extra commands and the M2 parts have a multiple parallel tasking capability.

dthx

Thank you for that explanation.
I'm working on a project and getting some help from the folks over at the "All About Circuits Forum".

My project requires some logic that, I thought, would require a uC but they say no....I could use digital logic to do what I need to do.
Question...
In your opinion, when does the level of complexity rise to the point of using a uC over put together digital components.
I still want to learn how to use these chips....just asking.
Thanks again for sharing your expertise.
D.

JimPerry

For a specific application then hard-wired logic chips might do the job very well - but - change the application and back to the drawing board. A MicroComputer allows you to screw-up and fix it with your mind (programming) and with a bit of luck no hardware modifications :confused:

As an example I use a lot of LED strips - most are common x, but some are common y. most Ebay controllers expect common x. I have a small board that adapts the uncommon strips to work - hardware FET logic. - which cannot do anything else. With a computer I could just change the code to make all work a lot easier :rolleyes:

Last edited:

premelec

What Jim says is very true! However sometimes when you require more speed and such what has become known as 'glue logic' is quite useful - and then there's the versatile 555 type cheap chip that often is worth considering... If you need only a few inputs/outputs I like the PICAXE 14M2 - and if your time is worth any $ then once you learn the programming you'll see the advantage over dedicated logic for sure [just in layout and interwiring and such].

westaust55

@dthx,
As indicated above, some microcontroller projects can still require discrete logic type chips as a front end or as interfacing to drive extra outputs or higher current loads.

I am currently investigating a project where I have a 555 timer and 4 6 x 74HC series chips as a front end to a PICAXE 28x2 chip.

Why not tell us a little about your project then folks here will better appreciate your application and that may result in more specific feedback to help you.

Last edited:

westaust55

For those who may be interested, from the "All About Circuits" forum thread, this appears to be dthx's latest definition of the project he is proposing:
I've set on 1,2, or 3 players....not 4.
So....lets take 3 players first.....one counter
The machine is set by way of a toggle switch for 3 players
This sets the machine to only allow ONE counter to work.
The players are lined up and ready to run to the machine. (like a pit crew)
Picture the machine as a race car with 2 tires and a jack .
One player runs up (like a pit crew member) and jacks the car up ....this completes a limit switch and a bell rings AND the SINGLE counter starts.
When the bell rings (the counter is running) the other two players run off the line and each take an impact wrench out of a "shoe" that has a foot switch in it.
(For 3 players, the foot switch does nothing)
They remove the lug nuts, take the tire off....put the tire back on and tighten the lug nuts....
The jack man watches....
When each "tire man" is finished the "jack man" releases the jack and lowers the car down to stop the counter.
Their time is manually listed on a white board for everyone to see.
They can then go about their business at the fair and come back later in the night to see if they had the fastest time.
Now 2 players....two counters
The Two Player Game is selected by way of a toggle switch.
Both players are lined up at the line and ready to play.
A non- competing attendant jacks the car up , completes the limit switch, and rings the bell.
But..NEITHER of the counters start at this point.
Hearing the bell, both players rush to their respective tires and take their impact wrenches out of their "foot switch shoe"
When they do that, their respective counter starts.....(two counters are in play)
Each "tire man" takes their tire off...puts their tire back on and THEN puts the impact wrench back in the shoe....
The shoe switch toggles and Stops each respective counter.
The Jack is lowered for effect only.
The player with the fastest time shown on his counter wins.
One Player Only...one counter
A toggle is selected for only One Player
Only one counter is in play.
The player runs to the machine and raises the car using the jack.
The jack makes a limit switch, rings the bell....
AND starts his counter.
He drops over to the front tire and takes the impact wrench out of the shoe (which does NOTHING)...the counter is still counting.
He takes the tire off....puts the tire back on ...tightens the lug nuts and when he puts the wrench back in the switch shoe....
The counter DOES NOT STOP......
He has to let the car down with the jack and fire the limit switch under the frame to stop the counter...
His time is noted manually on a white board.
2 and 3 player teams are getting ready to play against each other.
There will always be individuals who want to play individually against the machine for the fastest time...
Awards will be given to the fastest teams in each category.
I haven't selected any of the mechanical switches yet...but they are all available.....
The foot switch is ava. in a normally open or NC configuration.....they are commonly used to operate a hydraulic shear..

dthx

I'm gonna call you Edward Snowden from now on.
Bet you're really proud of yourself.
This project is a favor for my local county 4H.
It's still not hashed out totally......too complicated.
Maybe we'll start with one part of the game and see how the kids like it....then add on.
D.

techElder

Personally, if you would have called ME "Edward Snowden" I would consider that an insult. Perhaps you were thinking some other way?