Advice needed on selecting the correct Bluetooth module.

Buzby

Hi all,

I've got a project starting where I will need the PICAXE to link to a tablet via Bluetooth. I will write the PICAXE code, and the tablet app will be written by a third party.

I've not done any BT work before, so I know very little about what is needed.

There seem to be lots of different chipsets used on the modules I've looked at, but I can't suss out what the differences are.

Any suggestions as to where I should start ?

Cheers,

Buzby

Buzby

Hi PieM,

That is a good resource, I've got a better idea now about the problem.

It looked like HC-06 would do the job for me, until I saw this on an eBay listing :
Please note these modules are not compatible with iOS: Apple iPads, iPhones use a special bluetooth protocol.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-HC-06-Wireless-Serial-4-Pin-RF-Transceiver-Module-for-MultiWii-Roboti-/301112765936?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item461bb82df0

The tablet app will be developed both for iOS and Android.

What do I need now ?.

Cheers,

Buzby

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
If you want to use iOS as well as Android you will probably be best off with a module already iOS cerified, e.g. those based on the RN41/RN42 modules, there are lots of RN4x breakout boards on the auction sites. The RN4x is well proven and used with lots of iOS/Android compatible commercial bluetooth toys such as Sphero.

Buzby

Hi Technical,

Thanks for that. I'd never heard of the RN4x range, and it looks like this might do the job.

I'm not writing the tablet app, but I will do the early development using some kind of terminal app to exercise the PICAXE.
The Android world is something I know a little about, but I know nothing of the iOS world, so what terminal app would you recommend for iOS ?

@texasclodhopper,

It's a bit secret at the moment, but it will be showcased in the Gallery when it's finished.

Cheers,

Buzby

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
iOS has no bluetooth SPP, so there are no 'traditional' serial terminal apps as you probably expect. Apple would loose their control/royalties if it had SPP.

However the RN4x use an approved bluetooth 'data' link that can be used to send serial commands out of the RN42. A emulator style program and examples are provided in the Microchip developer sdk. It's not easy using iOS...

Buzby

Hmm ?, It looks like a real can of worms to even run a simple test in the iOS world.

I can write a test harness on Android by using B4A, or SplatHMI, or that RoboRemo in another thread.

Once I've sorted the project data flow on Android I'll hand the spec to the iOS developer and let him replicate it for iOS !.

Thanks,

Buzby

techElder

" ... and let him replicate it for iOS ! ... "

Oh, I wish I had received money for every time I got to say that. :)

Sooner or later, you are going to get a whispered response from him, and you are going to have this big grin on your face.