AXE029 connection

friis

Hi hippy,
I will check out serout and serin.
I would think that I needed a tool to tell me if a signal is sent from the Picaxe to the TX module and to tell me if a signal leaves the TX module through the air and vica versa for the RX module. Can an oscilloscope do that?
I would think that it couldt tell me what the signal through the wires are but not through the air. I am new to electronics and have never used an oscilloscope, but I have considered buying one. Is it better than a logic analyser?
torben

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The output from the receiver should (roughly) be the same as the data sent to the transmitter so that can be a good starting point for analysis. It is also possible to use just one channel, look at what's being sent to the transmitter to confirm that's as expected then at what the receiver is outputting.

Digital Storage Oscilloscopes and Logic Analysers should both be up to that task. As to what is best to buy that's a rather big topic. My opinion is a Logic Analyser is perfect if you don't need analogue capability ( and some do also offer analogue ), usually cheaper than a good DSO and far more useful than a non-storage scope. It all depends on what one is doing and therefore needs.

Our USB Scope would I think be up to the task here.

inglewoodpete

Before you get too deep into the diagnostics, how far apart are the Tx and Rx boards?

Obviously, if too far apart, the signal will be too weak to be received correctly.

If the Tx and Rx boards are too close together, the signal may be too strong for the receiver's AGC to compensate for, resulting is a distorted signal and bad data.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
What type of antenna have you used and how long if you have just used a bit of wire ?

friis

Hi hippy,
I used a bit of wire 173 mm long.
SEROUT/SERIN works. That means that the TX and RX modules work. Nice to know. But still RFOUT/RFIN do not work.
torben

Last edited:

friis

Hi hippy,
Here are my latest code:

Code:
#Picaxe 28x2
#Terminal 9600

main:
input C.4

Do
  high A.1
  pause 1000
  low A.1
  rfin C.4,b1,b2,b3,b4,b5,b6,b7,b8
  SerTxd( "Received ", #b1,"  ",#b2,"  ",#b3,"  ",#4,"  ",#b5,"  ",#b6,"  ",#b7,"  ",#b8, CR, LF )
Loop

#Picaxe 14M2

main:
Do
  rfout b.4,(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8)
  high B.3
  pause 2000
  low B.3
Loop
/code]

I have incl. pictures of my breadboards:

RFIN and RFOUT still dont work - since everything works with SERIN and SEROUT I am really at a loss. Am I blind for the obvious?
torben

Attachments

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Not sure what the problem may be. If it works with SEROUT and SERIN I would have expected it to also work with RFOUT and RFIN. The solution would seem to be to continue to use SEROUT and SERIN for now.