Wiring an ERF module

matchbox

I want to wire an ERF module up for both picaxe to picaxe coms and wireless programing. What i wasnt sure of is....can the serial IN programing pin be used to receive coms data from another picaxe or device? I have just never had the need to try it before.

matchbox

I am still waiting on the URF and ERFs to arrive in the mail, so i was trying to gather info on the subject before hand.
Also...i wanted to use 3 ERF modules as transmitters and a 4th as a receiver. To gather data from the three.
And with a push!!..i was also hoping i could program the four remotely, although i think that might be asking to much of the whole thing.
I know they have six different frequencies. But i wasnt all sure the programing part could be done.
Any input would be great!

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
You can use an ERF for programming and runtime communications. You could use DISCONNECT and/or SERRXD or you could wire it so the ERF TX connects to Download Serial In and some other I/O for SERIN and connect Download Serial In to TX for programming, to 0V when running.

For all four to communicate you would need to use the same frequency, channel and PAN ID. This could mean that each would respond together to a wireless program download which would create problems, though if you have only turned on at a time then downloading should work.

matchbox

Thanks for your reply Hippy, i think there is no real practical and easy way of using the ERF modules to do both. The most important part for my application is the wireless communication between the picaxes.
Plus having to disable the power to the other modules for a program upload, or to even disable the power to a control board for a hard reset, while leaving the ERF powered up is alot of trouble. I may as well just take the laptop up to the shed and use the AXE027 cable.

nekomatic

According to the ERF documentation you can change the PAN ID on the ERF by sending it +++ followed by the ATID command, so I guess you could use a scheme like this:

- All PICAXEs talk and listen on one PAN ID by default ('operating mode')
- The software on each PICAXE listens for a command string that you have defined that will tell it to go to 'programming mode'
- When one PICAXE receives this command it changes the PAN ID on its ERF to an alternate one and RECONNECTs
- You then change your URF to the alternate PAN ID and reprogram the PICAXE
- At the start of the new program, include code to set the ERF back to the original PAN ID. The PICAXE is now up and running in operating mode again (and you reset your URF to the standard PAN ID).