Soldering to the AXE002 Board with the 18M2 Chip

joe paul

Hi Folks,

I am about to try my hand with an HC-06 Bluetooth module with the 18M2 chip on the AXE002 board. I have a question about how to access the hserin B.2 and the hserout B.5 pins on the AXE002 board, because of the Darlington array. In the photo below, I marked the opening/holes where I assume I can tap into the correct pins on the 18M2 chip. Do I have to do anything to disconnect the Darlington array for these 2 pins?

board.jpg

Thanks!

Take care, Joe.

premelec

I didn't check that you have the correct pins - I usually pull the darlington chip if not using it specificaly - the chip will load the pins some and that may interfere.... you can cut traces on the board if necessary for disconnection to those darlington pins [it's easy to solder across a cut later if you need to ].

joe paul

Hi Premelec,

Thanks for the info!

I will need the Darlington chip for the other outputs, but I think I only need B.2 for the hserin for starters. I won't have the HC-06 module for about a week to 10 days, so enough time to think it through. Rather than cut the trace on the board, perhaps I can just bend the pin on the Darlington array out of the way or cut it off.

Take care, Joe.

inglewoodpete

The M2-series PICAXE chips may not be the best choice for communicating with the Bluetooth module due to its 2-byte receive buffer.

joe paul

Hi Folks,

Thanks, everyone, for the replies and information!!!! I just verified the correct pins for the hserin and hserout, popped the Darlington array, broke off the appropriate pins, and soldered wires to the B.5 and B.3 holes on the board for the Bluetooth project (waiting for the modules). I did find a couple projects on the net where they used the 18M2 for this Bluetooth module, but I don't know yet until I see for myself. In the meantime, I will finally play around with the MDFLY MP3 board that I haven't had time yet to fiddle with. That board requires the B.5 pin also. So many issues to figure out, like if the SD card will work, etc. Pin B.2 (hserin) is really all I think I need for the Bluetooth module HC-06. Still leery about the 2 different supply voltages since the MDFLY board needs more than the PicAxe.

Please keep the ideas coming. I will update as I make, hopefully, progress.

Thanks again! Without this help, I am sure I would be spinning my wheels!

Take care, Joe.

joe paul