​ ​ ​ ​ Sorry Picaxe but I'm leaving you for someone new
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry Picaxe but I'm leaving you for someone new

Default Sorry Picaxe but I'm leaving you for someone new

This is a paraphrasing of what was originally posted - hippy

Well not completely. I will still use the 08M2 and possibly the 14M2 but I am finding the bigger chips no longer have the capabilities which I need for my projects so I am having to choose alternatives.

Those products provide support for 64-bit integers, floating point numbers and strings, have more program and data memory, plus the ability to run compiled C or assembler code when speed is required.

It would be nice if the PICAXE supported all those things but they do not so it seems I have outgrown them and have to go elsewhere.
    Last edited by matherp; 27-12-2014 at 22:39. Reason: Replaced original, temprarily deleted, post

Blog Entries

Hi matherp,

Sorry to see you go, but I can see why.

I mentioned a few years ago that the PIC hardware had now far surpassed the PICAXE firmware.
    The target market for PICAXE is never going to disappear ( i.e. education ), but the hobbyist now has a much wider choice.

No amount of fancy PE front-end can mask the underlying limitations of the PICAXE architecture.
    As it is I still like to 'push the envelope' on a PICAXE for fun, but 'real' big projects use a different platform.

Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year.

Buzby

Blog Entries

Temporarily deleted the post

I see we are not allowed to discuss Picaxe limitations and alternatives, my post has been deleted - one more reason not to use Picaxe if the powers that be are so insecure

Blog Entries

'Cleaned-up' version of matherp's deleted text.

~~~~~

" Sorry Picaxe but I'm leaving you for someone new

Well not completely, I'll still use the 08M2 and possibly the 14M2 but the bigger chips can no longer complete

with the new interpreted Basic available " ... elsewhere ... - faster , cheaper and much much more powerful.

Last edited by matherp; Today at 17:05.

And by Buzby, a bit later.,

I read the OP before it was edited.. I can't help but wonder why it was deleted?
    After all, what OP wrote is a normal thing to happen - learn the "basics" (heh) with picaxe, and then migrate to a more powerful chip / enviroment. At least that's how I've always seen picaxe, a great learning tool, but for any serious business it's better to move on to other things. With all the lacking features of programming editor(don't get me wrong, the x2 and m2 series chips are packed with nice features, but the picaxe basic from stone age is hell), I'm quite sure that's how the developers also see it. So instead of censor, I think it would be better to allow discussion about the next steps.

Technical Support

Quote Originally Posted by matherp View Post
    I see we are not allowed to discuss Picaxe limitations and alternatives, my post has been deleted - one more reason not to use Picaxe if the powers that be are so insecure
    That is certainly not the case though the manner of such discussion and the language used does have a bearing on how posts are dealt with.

We have a policy that no advertising is permitted and, while incidental mention of non Rev-Ed product is tolerated, your post over-stepped that line.

I read matherp's original post and it read like an advert for the other product rather than a discussion of "Picaxe limitations and alternatives".

Not just an advert, but very close to blatant spam for a non-Rev Ed product.

Sometimes I think members here forget than this is a forum about, and funded by, a specific manufacturer to support their product. I'm amazed at the tolerance shown to brief forays into discussions about competing products, but a post running to many paragraphs extolling the virtues of a competing product seems bang out of order to me (and I did read it before it was deleted and go and look at the rather meagre offering of the supposed competition, particularly the rather poor documentation).
    Last edited by Jeremy Harris; 27-12-2014 at 11:06. Reason: typo

Dam i missed it lol.
    But theres so much you can do with the picaxe
    its also this forum that makes it so good we all learn a great deal from each other.
    Tho it is interesting the ideas seen here first pop up on other platforms in publications
    and similiar products in the market.
    but the picaxe range allows many to to these things themselves easily
    its apity it doesn't get promoted more!