Next challenge - playing sound files

edmunds

Hi all,

I'm interested in the next challenge for PICAXE platform - playing real sound files. I have investigated sound and tune commands, but they do not seem to achieve what I'm interested in. I want to play real sound files, recorded with real microphones. I could store them on a microSD card and drive the playback with PICAXE. I am well aware there are ICs for just that - I have SOMO-14D on order for testing. Serial control seems simple enough to implement.

But now I stumbled across this thread that uses genuine PIC to play WAW files directly with almost no extra components. Never thought of it, but the frequency is achieved with PWM function. While I'm investigating this further and before I try to code something, does this sound like something that PICAXE chip could achieve as well? Or would there be not enough speed?

Thank you for your time,

Edmunds

Dippy

Are you hoping to port the C code to replicate the programme and function on to a PICAXE?
(i.e. do all the SPI and transfer etc.?)

edmunds

Are you hoping to port the C code to replicate the programme and function on to a PICAXE?
(i.e. do all the SPI and transfer etc.?)
I don't know if 'port' is the right word, since I can read some C code, but certainly not fully understand it as soon as it leaves the absolute basics :). At the same time I think I understand the concept of having to learn to read a memory source (easy from I2C eeprom, not so easy or don't know yet, actually, from FATx file system) and produce sound by oscillating something into a speaker and amplifying it a little bit, since we are talking a single speaker with 0.25W max.

Achieving or at least trying to achieve it onboard PICAXE sounds like an interesting challenge and would save me space and cost in extra components on the final design.

Edmunds