'Error: Hardware not found on /dev/ttyUSB0' even though cable is connected?

dakatk

Hi, I just started using Picaxe, however I'm already having some very critical issues. I started by running a blinking LED test program on my family's main desktop (which is a Mac), and everything worked and uploaded fine in MacAXEpad once I got everything setup and installed. However, when I tried to run the same program on my personal laptop, which runs the most current version of Ubuntu (14.04), LinAXEpad gave me the error: Hardware not found on dev/ttyUSB0. At first I though maybe my battery was dead or maybe the AXE027 serial cable hadn't connected properly, however I checked my battery and it was fine and then I checked and double checked and the AXE027 was in fact connecting as /dev/ttyUSB0. Can somebody please help me with this??? I prefer to be able to upload programs through my laptop since my window to use my family's desktop is very limited.

bpowell

Hmmm...well, if you've confirmed that Linux is recognizing your cable as /dev/ttyUSB0...then I'm not sure what the issue is...if linux is NOT recognizing the cable...then try my steps from post #4 in this thread.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
One thing you can try is to program the PICAXE on the Mac ( or any PC which can program the chip ) with a simple test program ...

Do
SerTxd( "Hello" )
Pause 1000
Loop

Then check that the output can be seen by opening the Terminal window of MacAXEpad / PE6 and selecting the appropriate baud rate. Repeat by connecting it and opening Terminal on the Lubuntu system.

geoff07

If you have an XP license for the laptop, then installing XP under Virtualbox under 14.04 will work (I do it on several machines) and you can use PE5 or PE6, both of which are far easier to use than LinAXEpad.