Small solid state calibrated radiation monitor (gamma, beta, x-Ray)

HertzHog

Overview...
Ok. The proof of concept bit is finished, it works, but it is still being enhanced and its performance is being explored and it is not in a box yet.
I could not find anything quite like this in the projects, so I thought it was worth posting.
The concept...
To make a simple accurate calibrated reproducible radiation detector primarily aimed at measuring low levels of nuclear background radiation with a digital output reading.
To compensate for the lack of sensitivity and low count rates by using a microprocessor to patiently work as a rate meter.
To use a solid state low voltage radiation detector coupled with a Picaxe.

I am not saying you need one of these, unless you have an enquiring mind and a hobby interest and curiosity in measuring something we have no senses for i.e. Nuclear radioactive decay. We live in a world where quantum effects are not perceivable, not until you get one of these that is. Nuclear radioactivity has been around since the beginning of the universe so we have a long relationship with it.

I'm afraid the cost of the bits it likely to be a bit over £100 so stop here if that puts you off. I am writing it up with results, but I thought I would just see if these is any interest out there.

It is sensitive enough to react to a tub of 'LoSalt' because of the Potassium Chloride it contains.

HertzHog.

geezer88

I would certainly be interested in the sensor portion of this project. There are a number of interesting applications for this. Do, tell more!

tom

geezer88

Thanks for the pointer. Looks like a neat little sensor. Here's a webpage of a Arduino shield for it:

http://opengeiger.de/index_en.html

Lots of interesting stuff to read there.

I've got a small monitor that came from a surplus store. Here in Arizona, USA, the back ground count is about 1200 per hour. I'd be curious to know what your detector counts in your area of the UK.

best luck with your project,
tom

HertzHog

That figure is totally dependant of the sensitivity and size of your detector! I think your background would be expected to be higher than mine.
I am expecting a UK average figure of 0.25 micro sieverts per hour. I measure about 1/4 of that in my kitchen, but I expect this area to be geologically low as it is sedimentary. HertzHog

Last edited:

HertzHog

I have done some stats. I think, to have a 19/20 chance of measuring and being within +/- 10% of the true answer, you need to get an average rate from >= 384 pulses. That's where the Picaxe comes in.