LCD cell and 16bits variable

Technoman

PE6 (6.0.7.4)

Hi,

Using the flowchart mode, I'm trying to simulate the display of a 16 bits counter (w0) on LCD.

It works fine using basic with
Code:
serout B.0, N2400, (254, 128,"Counter : ",#w0)
(corrected converted code from flowchart).

The question is : how to set up the LCD cell to correctly output the 16 bits counter value? (related with the use of brackets)

View attachment test 16bits counter.plf

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
As a simplified user interface, flowcharting mode only supports byte variables within the commands.

However the solution is quite simple, just drag out a BASIC cell and enter your line of BASIC from above. You can include any BASIC you like within a flowchart by just using the generic BASIC cell.

Technoman

OK. Thanks.

It would be nice for the students, if we can, one day, add a user define cell based on a basic cell, in the toolbox.

Also, will it be possible to remind the different codes accepted by the LCD display in "More information".

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
It would be nice for the students, if we can, one day, add a user define cell based on a basic cell, in the toolbox.
You can do this already.

1) Method A (simple)
Save your BASIC code snippet by using the 'save' icon within the BASIC flowchart cell

Students then drag out a normal BASIC cell, click the 'open' icon and open the snippet.

2) Method B (advanced)

Make your own command.
Right click over the toolbox area, and you will see that you can 'add new item' to add a new command.
You can define your own completely new command to be added here as well.

The simplest way to do this is to copy the 'BASIC' command definition (BASIC.XML) in the Flowcharts Commandset folder, rename it to a new name and then edit it as required (its just a text file that can be edited in Notepad etc)

Technoman

Method A works fine.

For method B, I can't locate the "Flowcharts Commandset folder" containing the BASIC.XML file.:(

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
C:\Users\All Users\Revolution Education\PICAXE Editor\Settings\Flowcharts\CommandSets

Technoman

Thanks.

I got it also through the help icon. There is also an accessible folder named "My settings" ; is it usable or is it reserved for the future?

I renamed the basic.xml file and modified the file with Notepad++, an later could see it in "Toolbox/add item".
Have you some documentation on the .xml files structure. Is there a special tool avoiding some tedious manual modifications?