​ ​ ​ ​ HABAXE2 - a LoRA based High Altitude Balloon Tracker Project - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HABAXE2 - a LoRA based High Altitude Balloon Tracker Project

The programs for my LoRa based HAB tracker, and an updated testing report on the Semtech LoRa devices have been put on the dropbox;

https://goo.gl/rBeCem

I have changed the command uplink to use the lower LoRa rate of 98bps whilst the tracker transmits at 1042bps.

By doing this it is possible to have the benefit of using a good gain antenna to receive the data telemetry from the tracker.

The uplink commands would of course exceed the ERP limit, if 10mW was sent into the yagi. Since the 98bps has a 10dB advantage over the trackers transmissions of 1042bps, we can reduce the power output to minimum for uplink commands, still get the range needed, and not exceed the ERP limit.

So with say a 10dB yagi on a tripod, which is easy to manually point at the tracker, you should get the tracker payload back from a lot further than the 269km I got with my 5\6dB Diamond omni.

Any PICAXE enthusiasts who want PCBs, I have a few spare, you can have them for the cost of postage.

Stuart Robinson
    GW7HPW
    Last edited by srnet; 07-01-2016 at 17:49.
    Picaxe in Space is now Silent (but probably still running)
    http://www.50dollarsat.info/

dear robinson

we are based in switzerland working on a solar balloon project where we need a lightweight tracker solution and would be very interested in receiving one or two of your pcbs. are they still available? how would you like to receive the postage costs (we also would pay you the production costs).
    and if you would offer an assembled tracker we also would be interested...

greetings from grey zurich, roman keller

stuart robinson

my contact would be me@romankeller.info

Quote Originally Posted by namor View Post
    dear robinson

we are based in switzerland working on a solar balloon project where we need a lightweight tracker solution and would be very interested in receiving one or two of your pcbs. are they still available? how would you like to receive the postage costs (we also would pay you the production costs).
    and if you would offer an assembled tracker we also would be interested...

greetings from grey zurich, roman keller
    Well if you contribute maybe £10,000 for CE consultancy and third party testing, then I could maybe sell you an assembled one.

As that’s unlikely I can’t sell them ………………..

There are some PCBs there, the board is laid out to take a couple of solar cells, and you need around 5V from the solar to feed the charger for a single lithium polymer or ion cell. It should work, although I have not tested that part myself.

There were a couple of mods to the PCB needed, both simple.

I will list the changes to the PCB later and send you an email.

Quote Originally Posted by srnet View Post
    Well if you contribute maybe £10,000 for CE consultancy and third party testing, then I could maybe sell you an assembled one.

As that’s unlikely I can’t sell them
    If you submit your design files to somewhere like OSHPark and select the sharing option, other users can order their own boards - so you aren't selling them and won't need CE approval. Not that you would anyway - unless you stick a CE mark on it.

Of course you could put the following on any place you promote or sell them and then you are absolved of any responsibility:

"This evaluation board/kit is intended for use for ENGINEERING DEVELOPMENT, DEMONSTRATION, OR EVALUATION PURPOSES ONLY and is not considered to be a finished end-product fit for general consumer use. It generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and has not been tested for compliance with the limits of computing devices pursuant to regulations"

Quote Originally Posted by ledaero View Post
    "This evaluation board/kit is intended for use for ENGINEERING DEVELOPMENT, DEMONSTRATION, OR EVALUATION PURPOSES ONLY and is not considered to be a finished end-product fit for general consumer use. It generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and has not been tested for compliance with the limits of computing devices pursuant to regulations"
    Doubt them in Brusells would accept that.

If it were that easy, dont you think thart everyone would be doing it ?

Hi,

We've just made a 10mw RTTY tracker. I was just wondering - as weight is such a big issue - how do you insulate the module? I've heard that at the altitudes they get to that the air is too thin for effective convection, so do you just paint it black?

Best

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiestyles View Post
    Hi,

We've just made a 10mw RTTY tracker. I was just wondering - as weight is such a big issue - how do you insulate the module? I've heard that at the altitudes they get to that the air is too thin for effective convection, so do you just paint it black?

Best

Jamie
    For Pico trackers, you generally dont insulate them.

Daylight operation is not normally a problem at Pico tracker height of 8km typical.

But at night the temperature can go below -40C, insulation wont help much here.

Best batteries seem to be a pair of AAA Lithiums they survive the extreme cold better than most.

You can power a tracker direct with them, no need for a regulator.

A LoRa tracker will have a longer reception distance than the plain RTTY trackers, use less power used too. The LoRa devices can do FSK RTTY if you insist.