Reversing motors

Teazle

Perhaps I'm being especially thick today but can the circuit (page 14, Manual three) for reversing motors possibly work as drawn? Surely either 1/1 or 1/2 needs to be switched the other way so that when energised the circuit is made for one direction and when the relay is "off" the circuit changes direction?

Or have I missed something?

binary1248

Yes, only the bottom schematics reference motor reversing.
RLY1 controls contacts 1/1
RLY2 controls contacts 1/2
EDIT: Sorry, I need to look at that page again.
Yes, the schematic and rly numbering are confusing, or relay 1 is drawn wrong, showing the connection shorting the motor (Good for breaking).

Perhaps I'm being especially thick today but can the circuit (page 14, Manual three) for reversing motors possibly work as drawn? Surely either 1/1 or 1/2 needs to be switched the other way so that when energised the circuit is made for one direction and when the relay is "off" the circuit changes direction?
No, your are very sharp today, I'm the one being thick for not spotting that.

Last edited:

premelec

Thanks ip - an example of something that could have been drawn better and related to an H bridge... :)

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Thanks ip - an example of something that could have been drawn better and related to an H bridge... :)
In that manual section you read past the H bridge page to get to the relay page! However the relay1 contacts could indeed be more clearly drawn.

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
No indeed, our comment was not to the Op at all, it was direct reply to the post above it which asks why that page was not linked to the H bridge IC which most people use instead of relays (which is actually the page before).

The relay contacts are not incorrectly numbered, but the two sets of relay 1 (1/1 and 1/2) contacts could be drawn with one up and one down for clarity.

Last edited:

Teazle

The relay contacts are not incorrectly numbered, but the two sets of relay 1 (1/1 and 1/2) contacts could be drawn with one up and one down for clarity.
Thank heavens for that! I was begining to think that I had lost my marbles yesterday! Normally on the internet I half expect errors to occur in circuit diagrams...there's so much dross around but. But the Picaxe manuals are very well, and very carefully, put together so I tend to read them as being gospel.
On this occasion it was complicated by the fact that the contact numbering is ambiguous as well..........does "2/1" mean (as I would expect) "relay 2, contact 1" or "contact 2, relay one". There is, after all, a case for each relay being used to both switch the motor on and to select the polarity; it would make the programming slightly shorter.

techElder

Do the folks at RevEd / PICAXE have to be on their politically correct toes all the time? This is a technically oriented forum, and I've never read anything from either Technical or Hippy that is/was even mildly impolite. Why can't we just agree to give them the benefit of any doubt and not assume things that aren't there?

JMHO, but I didn't read where Technical even remotely implied that anyone was "stupid."

I don't think Technical meant to say you're stupid.

He probably means to say "Thanks Teazle for reporting an error in the manual that confuses readers"