OLED Display dimensions

wapo54001

The link to the 20x4 OLED hardware is broken (and I've reported that to the webmaster).

If I read the 16x2 OLED data sheet correctly, the display portion of the 16x2 OLED display is between 11mm and 12mm in height which makes each line 5~6 millimeters tall. Seems awfully small -- am I reading the spec right? Are the characters on the 20x4 display any taller? (Or if the PDF becomes available again I'll get the info from there.)

I sure would like to have an easy-to-interface two-line OLED with much bigger characters than one-half of 11 millimeters tall. Can anyone point me to a suitable alternative?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Measuring the visible display area of the 16x2 OLED I have and it does appears to be about 12mm, so around 5mm height per line would be about right.

I don't think that's any smaller than any standard 16x2 LCD from recollection of simply looking at them. I would also expect the 20x4 OLED line height to be the same.

nick12ab

Yes that size is about right and the 20x4 OLED is the same. There is a larger 16x2 OLED available but Rev-Ed don't sell it and it costs similar to the 20x4 module. You can also get 16x2 and 20x4 LCDs with larger characters, but none have massive characters.

For bigger digits, look for VFDs - the OLED next to the VFD in the picture is the "large character" 16x2 Winstar OLED. For even bigger you'll want dot matrix LED displays.

wapo54001

@hippy, thank you. I've ordered the Picaxe 16x2 to experiment with but I would like to be able to read my display from some distance away, say 15 feet, so if the technical side works for me I'll be looking for a bigger display that will work with the Picaxe.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
There are a fair number of resources on the web detailing which letter sizes are readable at what distance and for 15 feet it seems to be 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

It's probably worth experimenting with various text sizes in a word processor document to get a feel for what's suitable.