OLED display & "V" vs 86

jims

I have been using my Picaxe AXE133y OLED display without any problem for a long time. However I have a question??? How does this display differentiate between an Ascii "V" and a decimal 86? The serin command loads input register b1 with an 86 from both the "V" and the 86. Confused. Jims

BeanieBots

I'm a bit confused by the question.
"V" IS decimal 86. There is no distinction to make.
b0 = 86 is the same as b0 = "V"

jims

When b0=86 it shows as 86 on the display. When b0 = "V" it shows as V. Since both = 86, I don't understand why both don't show as the same thing. Jims

srnet

When b0=86 it shows as 86 on the display. When b0 = "V" it shows as V. Since both = 86, I don't understand why both don't show as the same thing. Jims
The AXE133Y firmware, as supplied recieves the input via serin, to b1, not b0.

So did you modify the the firmware in some way ?

And since the standard firmware has no diagnostics, how do you know what exactly the contents of b0 (or b1 ?) actually are ?

westaust55

In post 1 you mention SERIN to byte variable b1 so is this reference to b0 part of a SEROUT command.

Are you sending "V" as SEROUT .....(b0)
But the value 86 as SEROUT .....(#b0) ?

Posting you code would help folks understand what you are doing/seeding.

inglewoodpete

Sunday morning, it must be raining in Perth! Adding further to WA55's explanation:

b0 = 86
SerOut pin, baudrate, (b0)

... transmits one byte with the value 86 to the display. The display is expecting ASCII characters and its lookup for 86 is "V": the LCD places a "V" on the screen.

b0 = 86
SerOut pin, baudrate, (#b0)

... transmits two bytes that represent the value 86 to the display: "8" then "6" (bytes with values 56 followed by 54). The display is expecting ASCII characters and its lookup for 56 is "8" and 54 is "6", so it places "86" on the screen.

jims

Thank you to all of you!! I've been down this road before (many times), & I keep relearning about the difference between transmitting Ascii characters & decimal characters. Seems that there's a FORUM discussion about this nearly every week. I'm going to copy some of these responses, print them out, and put into my Manual 2 next to the "serout" command page. Hopefully will help jog my memory next time I do some Xmit/Rcv coding. Jims

westaust55

Sunday morning, it must be raining in Perth!
Sunday morning started with sunny weather with a few drizzle periods untill about 11am.

Nothing compared to the severe hail storm we experienced in Perths northern suburbs on Saturday afternoon.
Started with around 15 minutes of roarring noise followed by ~15 minutes of hailstones half the size of eggs which covered our entire property and street 50 to 100 mm deep then the rain set in.
Became so cool that some hours later a good percentage of the hail stones were still around.

@Jims,
good to read that you have the answer/information that you sought.