Table memory in 18m2

DanielH

I understand the 18m2 has 2 program slots and each one has its own separate table memory but is it possible to access the table memory in another slot ?

So if i wanted to access the table memory in slot 0 from slot 1 could it be done?

Thanks
Daniel

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Not without moving into slot 0, no. Remember that the EEPROM data (read/write) is available to all slots, if that helps.

DanielH

Not without moving into slot 0, no. Remember that the EEPROM data (read/write) is available to all slots, if that helps.
Thanks, but ive already used and do share the eeprom data between the slots, i was hoping there would be some way to do it with the table data as well.
Thanks for the quick response.

westaust55

X2 parts have 1 or 4 internal program slots where only 1 program slot is active at a time.

M2 parts, such as your stated 18M2 have 4 or 8 "parallel" operating tasks using time slice technology.
See the M2 information/summary sheet under the "Manuals" button on the toolbar at the top of the forum pages.
See here: http://www.picaxe.com/docs/picaxem2.pdf

See PICAXE manual 1 from page 62 about Parallel Task operation and shared variables and user memory.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
X2 parts have 1 or 4 internal program slots where only 1 program slot is active at a time.
Using Programming Editor 6; 14M2, 18M2 and 20M2 devices also have two internal program slots available, #slot 0 and #slot 1. The 08M2 only has a single slot.

westaust55

Using Programming Editor 6; 14M2, 18M2 and 20M2 devices also have two internal program slots available, #slot 0 and #slot 1. The 08M2 only has a single slot.
Ah yes, not being one who generally needs to use multiple slots, I had forgotten that little gem :(

JBrookes

Say, I looked through the manuals for instructions on adding eeprom memory to picaxe, but found nothing.
Anyone have a pointer to information about?
TIA JB

JBrookes

There's also the I2C tutorial for more general I2C device connection beyond using EEPROM to extend PICAXE programming slots ...

http://www.picaxe.com/docs/axe110_i2c.pdf
All right - thanks. Let me recap - I should use an axe110 with the clock upgrade. However, there are none of these in stock in the US anywhere. So that's Rev Ed in the UK.
Let's see - the axe034 upgrade is "fitted" onto the axe110 board.
That should do it I guess. Evidently the loading of the K thermocouple tables is via the picaxe 18X mcu ? The OP (Peter) mentioned that the eeprom is loaded with an mcu > 4096 bytes mem.

Please bear in mind that I am painting by the numbers here - I am not very experienced with the picaxe, so I will tend to use prepackaged solutions like the axe110 as much as possible.
I appreciate any comments you may have on this course of action. The Tcouple circuit is excellent, and I plan to record the onset and completion times of the melting substance to as great an accuracy as possible. These are triggered manually by observation.
Thanks in advance for your useful help.

JBrookes

I am on somewhat of a soliloquy here, but,

I pulled trigger on axe110 + RTC upgrade.
Ordered directly from Rev Ed UK.
It's not dirt cheap @ $60, but if it works, worth every penny.
I'm wanting to get temp readings from say 50-350C, and thermocouples are the
industry standard for that.
As a chemist, I am interested in getting accurate melting points. The range over which the melt
occurs is as important as the absolute value, since impure substances melt gradually.

The main thing that is missing is a way to control the heater. I have had luck with the scr blocks sold on ebay directly controlled by the picaxe.
The idea is to control the heater with a periodic signal like pwm. I am confident of that, since I have done it before.

In developing this, several challenges are:

-loading the eeprom with K values.
-writing code using to measure heating rate.
-recording start and end temperatures, or raw delta V over the range.
-connecting an OLED or similar readout

Thanks in advance,
JB