PICAXE PIC programmer error

Circuit

I am trying to use my PICAXE PIC Programmer to program a blank PIC12F629. I fired up Programming Editor 5.5.6 and it recognises the Programmer is present and allows me to initiate the Wizard to convert Basic to Assembler. After selecting the appropriate parameters it then stops with a "Error:53 File not found" message. This is followed by a message reporting "The following compiler path is invalid..." leading to WSTAMP16.EXE. The path is, however, valid and WSTAMP16.EXE is where it should be.

Invoking this file directly gives a more extensive message "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64(64-bit) version of the program and then contact the software publisher".

Therefore, Technical, I am contacting you in the perhaps forlorn hope that there may be a solution or work around for this. My computer is running 64-bit Windows 7. If there is no solution for this issue with Windows 7, what is the latest version of Windows with which the PICAXE PIC Programmer is functionally compatible?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
This feature was deprecated several years back in PE5. It will only function on any 32 bit version of Windows.

Circuit

This feature was deprecated several years back in PE5. It will only function on any 32 bit version of Windows.
My hope was forlorn indeed! Perhaps I might suggest that the product listing in the PICAXE shop as currently available and therefore de-facto supported is somewhat misleading. http://www.picaxestore.com/index.php/en_gb/bas800.html
There is no indication of obsolescence or driver limitations in the shop listing. If I bought the product today on the face value of the presentation in the PICAXE shop and then read your reply saying that it was deprecated several years ago, I think that I would be a very disappointed customer.
At least let customers know in the "Product Details" section that it is a legacy product that will receive no further development or support and will only work under 32-bit Windows. It is not an inexpensive programmer; a MicroChip PICKit3 can be purchased for little more than half the price.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
You have misunderstood, the programmer and it's software and hand programming in raw assembler will work on any version of Windows, including Windows 7.

Your original post was with reference to a completely different function, the basic-to-assembler conversion function within PE5. This is not part of the BAS800 PIC programmer hardware/software.
PE5 is deprecated, PE6 will eventually also contain a completely new, improved basic to assembler function.

Circuit

You have misunderstood, the programmer and it's software and hand programming in raw assembler will work on any version of Windows, including Windows 7.

Your original post was with reference to a completely different function, the basic-to-assembler conversion function within PE5. This is not part of the BAS800 PIC programmer hardware/software.
PE5 is deprecated, PE6 will eventually also contain a completely new, improved basic to assembler function.
Thank you for correcting my understanding; I thought that the expression "Use the serial PIC programmer software to download hex files or use the Programming Editor software for a complete assembly code programming environment" meant something a little more than "hand programming in raw assembler"...