HAS ANYONE USED THE qc2004a lcd AND interfaced it using a parallel interface??

rocketdoc

I have one of these qc2004a lcd LCD display. I am looking to find out if anyone would have any code to use when parallel interfacing it with a picaxe controller... any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I have attached documentation in case someone wants to check it out.

Thanks millions!!

Kim

Attachments

westaust55

That LCD display uses the KS0066 controller chip (or equivalent) according to Page 5 of the attached datasheet while the datasheet header mentions HD44789. There are some slight nuances to be aware of if it is the KS0066. Can you see the markings on the driver chip to verify?.

There are a number of past threads on the PICAXE forum related to LCD’s using the KS0066.
You might find it useful to download the KS0066 driver chip datasheet for a full understanding of how to control the chip for initialisation and display of informaiton on the LCD.

Have a look at a thread I started here for a different (Hantronix) LCD using the KS0066 driver chip:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?23589-Hantronix-LCDs-Specifically-HDM20416L-1-and-similar-with-KS0066U-controller-chip

That may help you to initialise and use the display in 4-bit parallel mode.

Last edited:

Puuhaaja

No problem. There are many code examples how to paraller or serial interface those hd44789 based lcd screens. I have even made my own lcd driver board for those kind of lcds. Anyways..forum member nick12ab has made very good tutorial where to start: http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?23707
There are also many other tutorial which can be found using search.

BeanieBots

Good luck!
Even the datasheet seems confused???
The text clearly states HD44789 but the diagram shows KS0066.
If I were in your position, I would start with one of the many HD44789 examples published here.
If that did not work, I'd then try an example for KS0066.
If that did not work either, I'd simply put it in the bin and get a display with a datasheet that explains how to drive it!

Goeytex

The diagram shows "KS0066 or EQUIV" which suggests it might also be something else. The chips are epoxy blobs so there will be no visual indication. It is a typical made in china display that should be HD44780 compatible and should work fine with the code posted here by Marks,NICK and others. But you won't really know until you try.

KS0066 Datasheet

Jeremy Harris

I'm using a backlit QC2004 no-name display (a cheap one from ebay) and that works fine in 4 bit mode from a 20M2. Seems to be identical to the pukka (but very old, non-backlit, LM044L) 20 x 4 HD44780 display I used when breadboarding the circuit.

Quite amazing how old this driver chip is. I know for sure that I bought the hack LM044L display some time around 1988/9, and it still gets pulled out and used to breadboard display circuits and works fine (except that the contrast isn't great, and there's no back light).