remote AXE133Y Serial OLED display

jims

I want to run an AXE133Y display as a remote display ( about 30 feet of cable). The circuit in the AXE133Y folder shows only a 10K resistor from the input pin to ground. Normally when I connect two Picaxe chips to talk to each other serially I put a 1K ohm resistor in the line between the serout pin on the transmitting chip to the serin pin on the receiving chip, and a 10K ohm resistor to ground. With this setup I can work the 30 feet easily. Should I add a 1K ohm resistor in the serin line of the OLED?
Thank you,Jims

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
It's probably a case of try it and see. If it has worked well for other cases it should work just as well for the AXE132Y.

A 1K isn't perhaps necessary but it shouldn't do any harm and some would even recommend it, only leave it out or reduce it's value if it does prevent things from working reliably.

srnet

I have used a long 10M, 3.5mm stereo extension lead, often to program and monitor my PICAXE boards whilst I am in the shed and the PICAXE is outside listening to GPS stuff.

Thicker the cable the better, but it really is just a case of trying it.

geoff07

Serout/serin uses simple async comms at quite a low speed so should be reliable up to say a hundred feet, less as the baud rate is increased. This used to be how VDUs and modems (remember them?) were connected, using wiring around office blocks. The main cause of signal degradation is probably line capacitance, so e.g. telephone 4-wire cable is probably better than coax, but almost anything will work over short distances. The lack of a +/- voltage swing (as per RS-232) will shorten the effective range but even at +5/0v it remains a very robust transmission system, especially as the receiver is only looking for ttl levels.

The only purpose for a resistor would be protection for a Picaxe port in case of a line short. 250R on the output pin would be generous protection, if needed at all. (R=5v/20mA)