how to interface spi flash chip or sd card with pic microcontroller

dilipdhande

friends
suppose i have 100 numbers of .wav voice files (2 to 12 sec duration) stored on sd card.i want to play them selectively using 3X8 keyboard using pic chip , what will the programme through PE6,how to make number of modes as files greater than keys ? which hardware will require? can u suggest any relevant circuit.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
You will need an external module to play the WAV files from SD Card and the type of module chosen will dictate what the PICAXE software to control that module would need to be.

dilipdhande

You will need an external module to play the WAV files from SD Card and the type of module chosen will dictate what the PICAXE software to control that module would need to be.
plz tell me some module for understanding to use for playing WAV files

Will it be easy & economical by converting WAV file to some other suitable format so that microcontroller will interact ?

inglewoodpete

Due to the way a PICAXE's firmware interprets the user software, it is unable to interwork with external data fast enough to either drive an SD card directly or to play sounds stored in .wav format. A hippy mentions, the only way you can play .wav files using a PICAXE is to use an external module that takes an SD card, reads and plays the sounds externally to the PICAXE. The PICAXE is capable of issuing instructions to the external module.

It is possible to use raw PICs or other microcontroller types to read and play sounds recorded on an SD card but that is the subject for another forum.