Mystery code - please help

Buzby

I don't think it comes anymore in depth than the pages and pages of info on that website.

srnet

Asking for us to look at a published project, circuit and code, and provide an in depth explanation (for free !) of how it all works is a big ask.

To explain how the code works, and accurately, your going to need to reference several fairly detailed circuit diagrams, doing that could take a fair while.

Have you posted a question on the sites forum or asked VK4DD for a explantion of the code ?

va3rjy

I have tried to contact VK4DD several times with no success. My real problem is that the code comunicates with a PIC18F2525 connected to a DS1307 RTC and a GLCD. I do not have that code. I was hoping someone can explain what information is being sent to the 18F2525.

Buzby

I've had a quick look at the code and a few posts in the vk4dd forum. The code is for a PICAXE 20X2 ( not a PIC18F2525, where did you see that ? ).

The operation of the device is configured by the end user in the first 225 lines of the program.

Do you have a PICAXE 20X2, and a method of programming it ? ( Maybe an AXE005U http://www.picaxe.com/Hardware/Starter-Packs/PICAXE-20-Starter-Pack/)

If not, you can run the code in the PE6 simulator and watch what the code is doing.

As srnet says, we can't tell you everything about this device, but we can answer specific questions.

Cheers,

Buzby

Goeytex

The PIC18F2525 is on the GLCD board and is the firmware for the GLCD module. I had to hunt through the other forum to find it. The 18F2525 acts as a driver for the GLCD module and translates serial data from the Picaxe to parallel data used by the GLCD. The GLCD schematic can be found HERE.

va3rjy

I'm trying to find out what code would be on the 18f2525 (GLCD). How do you manually set the time? What else is there to accomidate the serial data sent from the PICAXE 20x2?

Goeytex

I'm trying to find out what code would be on the 18f2525 (GLCD).
You won't. The author has not made the code available. He does state:

"The ICSP connector is something we use during the software development.
Do NOT MOUNT the ICSP connector, It is of no use to you".

This implies that the code is protected and that no source code is is available.

How do you manually set the time?
This is answered on the VK4DD Forum You use the buttons connected to the GLCD board to bring up a menu.

Buzby

Looking at the 20X2 code, it doesn't look like anything comes back from the GLCD to the PICAXE.

If that is the case, then it should be reasonably easy to modify the PICAXE code to drive a Rev-Ed GLCD, or similar.
Alternatively, if you have the PIC18F2525, suitable tools, and the right skills, you could put your own code in the GLCD.

A third option is to see if you could replace the PIC18F2525 with a 28X2, it just needs the PCB tracks tracing to see what pins do what.
Writing PICAXE code to drive the buttons, DS1307, and GLCD will be much easier than assembler or C.