Errors starting VSM for PICAXE

bill2003

I have used VSM on my laptop for a long time but recently, Windoze 7 which it's been running on without problems until recently, threw a wobbly and now when I try to start VSM, I get the following error messages.
SYMBOL"$MKRORIGIN" used but not found, i click OK and get about another 20 of these message and eventually, VSM starts and has one final message like the above one and then it runs without further problems. I have tried uninstalling VSM 3 times and re-installing it, restarting the laptop after every re-install and I am still getting the same message. It's as if, during the start of the program, it's looking for a circuit but can't find what it is linked too.
It only gets this problem when it reaches the ZETEX.lib section of opening the program.
Any suggestions would be really useful. I would have thought that un-installing the program would have got rid of everything but there is still something in the background that is causing me this problem.
Bill :(

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We've not seen this error message before, but it may be worth seeing if it is an error that has been introduced into a custom 'default' template (ie the template loaded at startup). If you had adjusted this default template (perhaps by mistake) it wouldn't be deleted during an uninstall.

bill2003

How do I reset the template

We've not seen this error message before, but it may be worth seeing if it is an error that has been introduced into a custom 'default' template (ie the template loaded at startup). If you had adjusted this default template (perhaps by mistake) it wouldn't be deleted during an uninstall.
Thanks for the reply but how do I reset the template to the original one.
Bill

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The default template is default.dtf in the \templates installation folder. Browse to this folder and make sure you don't have a copy in the 'compatibility files' folder (click the button at the top of Windows explorer to find this folder). If so the copy can be safely deleted.

Also if it is just the zetex.lib that is causing a problem you could try renaming it to zetex.lib.old so that it doesn't ever load at all. It is found in the /library sub folder.

bill2003

Hello, I've tried what you suggested but I still have the problem. Is there anyway I can completely remove the complete program and do a fresh install. I mean removing it without leaving any bits behind? If I can do this, i can re-install with the hope of getting the program to work properly. I teach Electronics and use the simulator a lot (I should now say 'I used to use the simulator).
Any help would be appreciated.
Bill

bill2003

I have just run IObit Uninstaller to completely remove the program, I then re-installed and when run, I got exactly the same problem. I then removed the default template default.dtf, re-ran the program and have the same problem. I then removed the Zetec.lib (I had already tried renaming it, and that made no difference. What do i do?? I have a program that will not work without going through around 30 error messages before I can get it to run.
Bill

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Try right clicking over the start link, properties, compatibility, run in XP mode. Does that help?
If not it is probably better to ask Labcenter direct - email them quoting your customer number (Help>About).

bill2003

Yes, that did it. Once I had run it in Compatibility Mode, it ran normally afterwards. I'm not sure why the problem arose in the first place but everything is working well again now. thanks for you help.
Bill