New to Picaxe. Trouble installing Editor

georumi

I have Windows 7 running on my laptop. I am new to picaxe and was trying to install the PICAXE editor. It goes to install it and stops half way and states "key not valid for use in specified state".. Any help or ideas of what is wrong?

inglewoodpete

Which version of the PICAXE Editor are you trying to load?

Also, are you using the 64-bit version of Windows 7? If so, run the PE installer exe as an administrator.

georumi

I do have the 64 bit Windows 7, See attachment with system specs as well as screen shots of the failed installaion.View attachment Install info.pdf. I tried to run version 6, as well as 5.5 and axepad...all of them are failing the same way. I ran them as administrator, I turned off virus scanning and firewall software....not sure what else to do. (Idid make sure that my .NET was installed and active. Disappointed because I am really looking forward to working with Picaxe. I have been experimenting with Pbasic and BS2 but want to expand my knowlege to Picaxe.

grim_reaper

I would have a good read of the second article posted by Hippy - http://uhesse.com/2014/08/31/windows-7-error-key-not-valid-for-use-in-specified-state/.

It seems MS have attempted to patch a security hole in the installation system of Windows (used by InstallShield, which the PICAXE software uses). The developers information available about this patch isn't very detailed - it's a security issue after all! - but it gives me the impression that MS are restricting the InstallShield tool from 'elevating it's own privileges' (trying to do things it shouldn't have authorisation under a normal account to do).

I would follow the instructions in the above link to remove the Windows Update, then try and install again, ensuring you run the installer by right-clicking on it and selecting 'Run As Administrator'. If that fails, please come back and we'll see what else we can try...

The bear

@georumi,
Welcome to the forum.
Don't give up. I'm on the same spec. as you.
Before I won with Win7, used it on XP, no problem.
Regards, Bear..

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
KB2918614 was the problem. I uninstalled it, ran the editor install as administrator and SUCCESS!
Excellent work and many thanks for letting us know. KB2918614 seems to have caused quite a few problems and not just for Programming Editor installs.