speaker for Emic 2

jims

The Emic 2 text to speech module has an output to drive an 8 ohm speaker. They describe this output as a ...... "Differential audio amplifier, bridge-tied load configuration, positive side,(and negative side). Connect directly to 8 ohm speaker."....... Do any of you FORUM members have a recommendation for a speaker for this? I want decent sound, but not necessarily a high fidelity. My 82 year old ears can no longer appreciate the "good stuff". Thank you, Jims

techElder

Jims, just remember that with that drive configuration, both sides of the speaker are driven to the power supply voltage at times. No way to know if there is a DC blocking capacitor in there without looking.

Just about any 8-ohm speaker would work. The bigger the better, but you're not going to get loads of power out.

Just don't "ground" one side unless you know how the driver is built.

PS. I'm glad to know that there is still a life in electronics in my "old age!"

Goeytex

I imagine that a re-purposed 2 inch PC speaker would work OKl. You may even try a cheap USB or battery powered speaker set for more volume.

john2051

H Jims, looking at the schematic for the emic2, and the on-board audio chip. It is only rated for around 300mW.
Any 8 ohm speaker should work, but as mentioned earlier you have to be careful with the chip running in assumed bridged mode.
It looks like you can feed straight into a amplified speaker from the jack socket.
regards john