Vmusic2 Red LED Intermittant power up issues?

colinsmurph

Hi guys,
I have a bit of an odd issue, that I hope someone can help with....

I have a V music player hooked up +5v /0v and green together /Orange too the Picaxe.

It has been intermittent on power up but the fault has now become 100% of the time...., I found if I power up then disconnect / reconnect the Orange / ser in, It boots up and runs fine.?????

If I leave the orange connected it flashes green/red a few times then goes too solid red??? until the serin is disconnected/ reconnected.
I have tried -
pulling down the ser/in
Increasing the start up pause too let things settle,
Pulling the ser/in high as soon as the pic is powered up.....
No joy.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks Guys.

Dave Spider

Hello Colins,
Is your memory 4 GB or smaller? What happens if there is no memory in the USB port? Did you try making the serial out an input on power up? Does the green wire have a good solid ground connection? Is the entire USB memory stick formatted properly? Did you try a different memory stick?

colinsmurph

Hi guys thanks for your suggestions, Yes I had run through the diagnostics in the book, even Google searched the manufacturer for more info...
Yes good point about defining the pins, Yes I did because I was using servos and motor drives for the first time, I named everything too save confusion.

FIXED It was that particular Picaxe pin on the robot shield was floating high on power up caused the Music player too lock up!
B.6 I think. So I swopped too the next the pin along. Worked fine ☺
Couldn't see any reason why that pin shouldn't work?
I was trying too keep the serial command away from the pins with the servos on because long leads too the servos already caused some jitter. Seemed ok in the end.

rossko57

Guess we are talking AXE408 Instant Robot shield.
Picaxe B.6 connects to shield S.6
Shield S.6 has no pullup or pulldown at all.
When the Picaxe starts up, B.6 will be an input and S.6 will be left to float to whatever value it likes.

If you need the pin to idle low, you could add a pulldown resistor to S.6 (could be physically on your plug rather than the board)

colinsmurph

Guess we are talking AXE408 Instant Robot shield.
Picaxe B.6 connects to shield S.6

****Shield S.6 has no pullup or pulldown at all.
When the Picaxe starts up, B.6 will be an input and S.6 will be left to float to whatever value it likes.

If you need the pin to idle low, you could add a pulldown resistor to S.6 (could be physically on your plug rather than the board)

Yes it was the AXE408,
That makes sense then, well spotted.....although I did try a 10k pull down, (perhaps too high value)
Seems odd that it worked intermittently for a while, while obviously floating.

Definatly worth noting that the music player will crash if the input floats.