AXE231 and Australian Distributer

Marcwolf

I am trying to find a place locally (AUS/NZ) where I can purchase the AXE231

This is the 08M2 version of the SMD 08M board.

Postage and time are generally the biggest issue for availability

manuka

By chance I was pondering similar - in my case to match the new finger nail sized Dorji ASK 433 MHz modules! With such decent RF modules this small it makes increased sense to match with SMD PICAXE of course.

Australian PICAXE agent Wiltronics don't seem to list them. Approx. how many AXE231 do you want- we may be able to UK order directly & divide? Stan.

Attachments

SAborn

All looks good but i can only think the pricing is wrong where it lists "pounds" and would expect even in a $ "dollar" value such a simple board is far over priced.

I love the Rev-ed products, but often feel they need to get real on some of their pricing.

Then a a Rev_ed supplier who dont offer the full Rev_ed range is a poor supplier in my book.

manuka

Yes- the SOIC (small outline IC) AXE231 all up is perhaps a tad costly, but it'd certainly look professional & allow extremely compact state of the art designs. DIP layouts are near historic of course, & are now rarely seen in commercial electronics.Full sized components are probably retained merely for repairs,learners & hobbyists!

Ah-you do realise that the AXE231 (& earlier 08M based AXE230 -now discontinued) is fully populated with a 08M2,slim programming socket (optional),SMD resistors/cap., & even a LED ? A SOIC PICAXE 08M2 alone would cost ~US$5 of course. How much would your time be worth fiddling with (or even accessing!) surface mount components? Otherwise consider Digikey's versatile "Surfboards (~US$1.50 each) !?

All manner of dirt cheap compact but "ugly" layouts have arisen. I've rustled up a few "squashed bug" DIP approaches myself in the distant past! Naturally a limiting factor relates to the eventual power supply too - even a Li coin cell & associated holder can be significantly bulky. Dead bug style continues to have it's followers- the SMD festooned DIP 08M below retains the ability to be breadboard mounted for program tweaking.

Stan.

Attachments

Last edited:

Marcwolf

Hi Stan
I did by a couple through from the UK.. But it still irks m tat I cannot just order one (cheaply) locally. When Dave Livingstone was round you could get all of the Pixace range.