I've made a mistake,irreversible damage? 20X2...

avr10

During programming the picaxe 20x2 i removed the power supply...The manual say that i should do a hard reset. I do the same thing that the manual sad, but it wasn't work. I always get an error massage :'No hardware found on COM1 Port'
I have two another chip, 8m2, and 18m2, these are work fine, i can program these.

What can i do? Is the 20x2 broke down finally due to my fault?:(

Thanks for the anserws,and sorry for my English.Best regards!:)

Hemi345

I've done that a number of times without harming the PICAXE.

Disconnect power from your project/PICAXE chip. Start the program download from the PICAXE editor and then immediately connect power to the project/PICAXE. That should get it working again.

avr10

:confused:
I've done that a number of times without harming the PICAXE.

Disconnect power from your project/PICAXE chip. Start the program download from the PICAXE editor and then immediately connect power to the project/PICAXE. That should get it working again.
i did i several times, but didn't solve the problem.:confused:

westaust55

:'No hardware found on COM1 Port'
Is the COM1 Port the actual port that your programming cable is connected to?
You might need to check and if needed reset the PE to work with the correct COM Port.
This change can happen if the PE is started without the download cable conencted to the PC - the cable does not need to be connected to the PICAXE chip at this PE startup.

avr10

Is the COM1 Port the actual port that your programming cable is connected to?
You might need to check and if needed reset the PE to work with the correct COM Port.
This change can happen if the PE is started without the download cable conencted to the PC - the cable does not need to be connected to the PICAXE chip at this PE startup.

am i speak cheenese language? or what?

it seems i should write again the problem:mad:..........:
i have 3 chip, i can program 08m2,18m2 but i can't program the 20 x2.
The cable ok, port ok, all ok!
During programming the 20x2 i pull out the power cable. From then on i get an error massage.
I should do the hard reset, i did the same thing what i read in the manual, but didn't work.

Can someone write a REAL SOLUTION, instead of guessing?:rolleyes:

inglewoodpete

If I had the problem you are having, I would try a few different things.

1. Is the power (+/- 5v) properly connected to the chip? Can you measure the voltage actually on the power pins (leg 1 and leg 20 of the 20X2).

2. Can you do a hardware/firmware check of your chip? If yes, the chip is OK.

3. You will need a logic probe. Alternatively use a LED + 330ohm resistor with the LED's cathode connected to 0v. The 330ohm resistor connects between the LED's anode and the PICAXE pin under test.

First, connect the logic probe or 330ohm resistor to the Serial In pin (leg 2 of the 20X2 chip). Try to program the PICAXE. Does the LED flash? If yes, the PICAXE is OK and there is an open circuit in the return log of the programming circuit.

If that doesn't work, try the following:

Next, connect the logic probe or 330ohm resistor to the Serial In pin (leg 2 of the 20X2 chip). Try to program the PICAXE. Does the LED glow at all?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Can someone write a REAL SOLUTION, instead of guessing?:rolleyes:
Please accept that, to determine the nature of the problem, other possible causes for the error message than the 20X2 having become damaged need to be eliminated so sometimes clarifications may be asked for.

The AXE027 programming cable is recommended for programming PICAXE chips and it is rare that this appears as COM1 when installed so this is why it was queried if you were actually using COM1.

The PICAXE-20X2 would likely not have become damaged through simply removing the power and should be recoverable and reprogrammable using the Hard Reset procedure, however it is a possibility it could have become damaged.

What cable are you using to program your PICAXE chips; an AXE027 USB cable, an RS232 cable, or something else ?

For the Hard Reset procedure; ensure that the "Connecting to hardware..." message appears before applying power to the PICAXE. Re-applying power too soon can cause the Hard Reset to not perform as expected.

avr10

guys, i dont want to believe that nobody can't read here:eek::eek::eek:

i write the problam as clean as the mountain rivers are clean.
I tired to write it again....these comments give me a cancer

avr10

If I had the problem you are having, I would try a few different things.

1. Is the power (+/- 5v) properly connected to the chip? Can you measure the voltage actually on the power pins (leg 1 and leg 20 of the 20X2).

2. Can you do a hardware/firmware check of your chip? If yes, the chip is OK.

3. You will need a logic probe. Alternatively use a LED + 330ohm resistor with the LED's cathode connected to 0v. The 330ohm resistor connects between the LED's anode and the PICAXE pin under test.

First, connect the logic probe or 330ohm resistor to the Serial In pin (leg 2 of the 20X2 chip). Try to program the PICAXE. Does the LED flash? If yes, the PICAXE is OK and there is an open circuit in the return log of the programming circuit.

If that doesn't work, try the following:

Next, connect the logic probe or 330ohm resistor to the Serial In pin (leg 2 of the 20X2 chip). Try to program the PICAXE. Does the LED glow at all?
maaaaaaaan... x.x

avr10

OK, ISOLVE THE PROBLEM, THE MANUAL IS BAD

IT SAD:
To perform a hard reset using the power supply (all sizes):
1) Disconnect the power supply.
2) Wait until all power supply decoupling capacitors have discharged (can take
up to 30 seconds or more depending on circuit design).
3) Click the PICAXE>Program menu to start a download.
4) Wait until the progress-bar appears on screen.
5) Reconnect the power supply

THE CORRECT PROCEDURE:
To perform a hard reset using the power supply (all sizes):
1) Disconnect the power supply.
2) Wait until all power supply decoupling capacitors have discharged (can take
up to 30 seconds or more depending on circuit design).
3) Click the PICAXE>Program menu to start a download.
4) Wait until the progress-bar appears on screen,AND WAIT TILL YOU SEE THE "Connecting to hardware" MASSAGE.
5) Reconnect the power supply

Damn it

avr10

progress-bar appears on screen , wait the massage: "Connecting to hardware"
THEN connect the power supply!

(i write twice just in case the can't readers)

premelec

@avr10 - glad you got it working - what version of the editor do you use? On my #5 version it's only about 100ms between bar appearing and 'connecting to hardware' showing so I've not been fast enough to connect power before that message appears. Anyhow hope you enjoy your working set up now!

jojojo

:mad:
Nine post, and already desagreeable.
And, yes: Capacitors must be decharged in order to do a hard reset. Tss !

And, yes, we are able to read, you see ...

avr10

@avr10 - glad you got it working - what version of the editor do you use? On my #5 version it's only about 100ms between bar appearing and 'connecting to hardware' showing so I've not been fast enough to connect power before that message appears. Anyhow hope you enjoy your working set up now!
hi!
i use the 555 version but i tried this in 556 version.
With the same result!
I will try in 6 version.

BUT

i use a 900 mhz pentiumII computer , so it not so fast as you write, like 0,5 second between bar appearing and 'connecting to hardware' showing.
So i can suggest to you, try the hard reset procedure in a slower pc.
After a succes hard reset procedure, the chip works fine, and you can use in the faster pc.

srnet

omg, yes, the capacitators xDD
thx sherlock
Please appreciate that the responses you have had are from very experienced PICAXE users offering their advice for free, so its always a good idea to be polite.

Perhaps the responders have not seen the particular problem you describe, I for one have not, but then I have only been using PICAXEs for about 4 years.

alphamike27

Completely agree with Fernando....................

Someone posts asking for help, and when it is offered with the best of intents, all you get is a rude know it all................