URF/ERF programming

keith j

Hi Hippy

an update:

I have now completed re-wiring the interface as per the wiring diagram as per the one you sent me.
The picaxe/ERF are connected as per the diagram through the interface. We have a heart beat (have checked the connections)
All connections etc checked for continuity
Have tried to use ERF to reprogram - usual error message
Have replaced the PICAXE chip (28X1) with a new one (in case the fault is there) - no difference
SerOut program as you sent me, code used N9600_4 (came up with a syntax error but N9600_8 was accepted) I know the 28X1 has a speed of 4Mhz not 8, but tried it anyway.
Photos coming soon

Any suggestions?

Regards

Keith

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I presume you are saying you have the ERF wired for wireless programming - it's hard to recall exactly what I may have posted/sent over the course of the thread when dealing with other enquiries and issues during that time.

The SEROUT tests suggested require the ERF to be connected other than to the programming Serial in and Out pins. The baud rates will need to match what the ERF/URF are using and that might necessitate running the PICAXE at higher speeds to achieve that.

The best course is to disconnect the ERF from the download interface and go back to having the ERF wired up for loopback testing as described in post #18.

Check that still works, echoes characters back to the terminal. Select 4800 baud and ensure that works. Then download the following program to the PICAXE using an AXE027 cable -

Code:
#Picaxe 28X1
Do
  Pause 1000
  SerOut 7, N4800, ("Hello ", #w0, CR, LF )
  w0 = w0 + 1
Loop
Remove the link between RX and TX of the ERF module and wire the ERF RX to digital Output 7 (leg 28) of the 28X1.

Power-up the PICAXE and ERF.

Within Programming Editor 6 open the Terminal window and select the COM port your URF is connected to. Set the baud rate to 9600 then set it to 4800.

At that point you should see a "Hello..." message on the Terminal every second.

If not, go right back to checking loopback works again, and ensuring it does at 9600 baud.

Then go through the above process but downloading this code using an AXE027 cable -

Code:
#Picaxe 28X1
SetFreq M8
Do
  Pause 2000
  SerOut 7, N9600_8, ("Hello ", #w0, CR, LF )
  w0 = w0 + 1
Loop
And when back in Terminal choose 4800 baud, then 9600.

Last edited:

keith j

Hi Hippy

have tried these with no success with either baud rate. The loop back test still works. Am able to programme with the cable.

am I looking at a new board or should I examine the connections between the interface and the picaxe board?

Keith

BeanieBots

If the loopback test works, your ERF/URF are working fine.
(might not be able to program with them [yet] but they ARE working OK).
If you got a program into the PICAXE using the AXE027, the PICAXE is almost certainly OK.
Therefore, most likely a connection error to the PICAXE.

keith j

My thoughts too. I have remade the interface circuit (as I had found an error on that). That just leaves the connection to the AXE020 board, which I am investigating next

Keith

BeanieBots

For now, just concentrate on getting data to and from the PICAXE.
Forget about programming until data comms can be demonstrated to be working in both directions.
First with loopback.
Thats looking good.
Then via serin / serout.
Once and only once that is working OK, should we move on to programming wireless.

keith j

I have located a possible fault - the tiniest fragment of wire (spotted through a magnifying glass and confirmed with a continuity check) that is shorting between the A & B parts of the download socket on the axe board. When this is rectified we will try again!

Regards

Keith

keith j

OK. It has all fallen to pieces!!!!!

We cannot bounce back from computer-urf-erf-urf-computer anymore!

Will have to stop exploring this at the moment as other parts of the project are falling behind so will have to concentrate on those, and have the remote reprograming aspect of the project put on the back burner for now, haven't given up on it thought!

Thanks for all the help so far

Regards

Keith

BeanieBots

Understand your situation but do re-visit. They really do work and make life so much easier when updating projects in hard to reach places.
I've recently gone one step further with mine.
For fun, I plugged an SRF into a Devlo virtual USB port.
Almost instantly, up came the "installing new hardware" popup.
Low and behold, I can now wirelessly program my project without even needing to plug the SRF into my Laptop.
Thinking more about it, I guess, that because the virtual USB has an IP address, I can re-program wirlessly from anywhere in the world!

keith j

definitely will do - the ability to wirelessly re-program is essential to the project.
When we are back on it again will let you know

regards

Keith